Chapter 3

It was an "S" night and I was getting everything ready. Carla was charging in the corner as I adjusted the belt around my waist. I fixed a curve on my pants and looked at myself in the mirror. I tightened the elastic around my hair and picked up Carla from her charging station. 

" Come on, Carla, let's go to 'S'," I said, trying to help myself from the anxiety I always got from these nights. Especially since this night included Langa, or "Snow". I had a reasonable right to be nervous. This was a child that basically just started to learn how to skateboard. But he is also very skilled and balanced from his experience snowboarding. I took my bike and rode to the location, only stopping a few trees away. Joe was standing by a tree, waiting for me. 

" Why do you do that?" I asked him, putting my black balaclava up over my nose. 

" Do what?" He asked me back.

" Wait for me," I finished the sentence. Joe didn't give me the answer that I wanted, instead, he shrugged and set his skateboard down on the cement ground. 

I got Carla out of the safety pocket I made for her and set her down on the ground. Joe had already started moving towards the gate. The loud talking of the bystanders could be heard from outside of the gates. I caught up to Joe and he tried to start small talk with me but I ignored him and entered into the skating location of the popular competitive "S". Girls shouted at both of us compliments and weird sexual comments as we entered. Joe waved but I kept on going to the base area. Women weren't really my ideal partner. Langa and Reki were already over there, getting ready for the beef. 

" Are you mentally ready for this, Langa?" I asked him. Reki was hyping him up as Langa answered with a slight nod and a mutter of a "sort of". Joe made his way over after talking to a few ladies. 

" You got this, Langa. Don't let them intimidate you," Joe helped hype up the blue-haired teenager. Reki patted his back as Langa walked over to the starting line. The timer went off and the competitors started racing.

-- Timeskip Because-- 

Langa had done it again. He won and everyone cheered for him. Reki and Shadow were at the finish line but Joe and I stayed back and watched it on the big screen.  One thing we could agree on, Langa had done extremely well this round. Everyone started leaving and I went back to where my AI motorbike was. Joe got caught up with some fangirls. I didn't really want to wait for him but I did. It was about twenty or thirty minutes before his stupid tan face showed up.

" Aw, you waited for me," He said, poking his head around the tree to face me. " Your so cute, Kaoru."

" How many times do I have to tell you not to use that name here," I scolded him and sat on the leather seat of my bike. He shrugged and got on his own motorbike. My eyes looked over his body. Jeez, when did he grow that muscle? I guess I just never realized- Stop it! 

" What are you thinking about?" His voice went through my ears and I looked up. 

" You're an idiot," I said and roared up my AI bike, and drove off.

" Wh-what? How does that have anything to do with-" His voice faded off into the late, dark night.

I got home safe. Joe passed me when I was halfway home. I unlocked the door and walked inside. I went to my room and plugged Carla in. 

" Carla, what time is it?" I asked in a tired voice. I was tired.

" 1:05 AM," Carla's voice answered. 

I groaned and took my hair out of the high ponytail. My scalp hurt from how tight it was and I stuck my fingers in it, shaking my hair around and massaging it. I stripped off my clothes and got a clean pair of pajamas. I took my contacts out and put on my glasses. I looked at myself in the mirror. " Your hair looks better down."  I watched myself blush in the mirror from Kojiro's voice in my head. This is ridiculous. I walked out of the bathroom and into the kitchen to get a cup of water. There was a note that wasn't on the counter before. 

Your laugh is cute, Kaoru.

- Joe :) 

" That little-" My hand balled into a fist and hit the counter. " When did he even leave this?" I took my phone out and texted him. He responded a few seconds afterward. 

'I stopped by tonight' He answered. I rolled my eyes and told him to not do that. I got my cup of water as I waited for his response. A smile was forming on my face as I continued to text him. I walked into my room and just as I did a new text appeared. 

'Do you want to call?'

I froze. I bit my lip where my piercing used to be and walked over to my bed. I set my water on my nightstand and replied. I turned my volume down and heard the familiar ringtone. I accepted the call and Kojiro's face appeared on my screen. 

" Hey, Four-Eyes," He said, starting a conversation. I took my glasses off and put them in the case next to my water. " Oh, Four-Eyes is gone, now it's Idiot-Face." He chuckled at his own joke as I just glared at him.

" You're not very good at making up names on the spot, are you?" I asked him. He went quiet and this time I laughed. 

" I will leave," He threatened. I gave him a look that said 'would you? That's very unlikely'. He stayed silent and I knew he knew that I was right. " So, what's up with you? I stopped by your shop and it was closed, what's up with that?"

I sighed and answered honestly. I needed this off my shoulders anyway. " Lately, my calligraphy has really sucked and I have been canceling my teachings. I don't know what I need," I knew I sounded desperate. It was rare to see this side of me anymore. Kojiro has always been a listener. No matter how much he tries to change and talk more, he's always gonna be a listener and listen to my desperateness. 

" Okay, have you got any ideas?" He asked, trying to help. I shook my head and layed my head down on my pillow and set my phone on its side. I got a weird feeling of déjà vu when doing this. When Kojiro was in Italy and we would call almost every day. My eyes started to droop as he gave his suggestions. I'm pretty sure I passed out while on call. Kojiro left after another fifteen minutes to wait for me if I was going to wake up. I didn't. It's been a while since we last had a late-night call.