Chapter 4

Shindo, Kojiro, and I were in Kojiro's car. It was late at night and we were driving down the dark road. We were blasting the music and shouting the lyrics. The windows were open and I poked my head out the window. Kojiro was driving (he didn't trust Shindo or me to drive his car) and I was in the passenger seat, Shindo was in the back. We were able to play our own music and I turned up the volume when my songs turned on. It was English music but it didn't matter, the way it felt to me and how I viewed it was everything. 

My hands followed the opening drums and I shouted the lyrics. Although I had an accent while singing the English lyrics, I still loved it. The pre-chorus started and I was getting ready for the big part that always got me excited. I had a smile on my face as I sang the words. 

" The black magic of Mulholland Drive! Swimming pools under desert skies!" I shouted the lyrics and stuck my hands out the sunroof. Shindo shouted a 'woo!' in the back and I looked back, he was sticking his head out the window and smiling too. I continued to sing as my eyes trailed over to the driver. Kojiro was smiling too and would sometimes look over at me. My foot patted the carpet bottom of the car. 

I had another song after this one. Another English song was after this one. Just by the opening electric guitar playing, everyone in the car knew what song it was. Although it was from a kid's movie (which they watched one week a few summers ago), the song was good enough to be played in a car full of teenagers. 

" Woo-Hoo!" I hollered out of the window and Shindo copied my movements out his own window. Kojiro turned the volume to the highest it could go. We all smiled at each other. It was almost two in the morning and we were all wide awake. The song ended and we all hollered and shouted until the next song started. The music went back to Japanese and was now playing 'MECHANICAL DANCE' by LUNA SEA. Shindo really liked this band and to be honest the instruments and how they were used were very interesting to me so I was intrigued and would sometimes listen to them.

Eventually, the trip stopped as we got closer to our neighborhood. Shindo was disobeying rules from his father for two reasons. Hanging out with Kojiro and me, and staying out this late. We lowered the volume as we got into the neighborhood. We had to drop Shindo off a few houses down from his own so his dad would at least have two ideas of what Shindo was doing (those two ideas would be hanging with us or just having a walk down the street). 

I sighed and leaned my back against the seat. Kojiro watched as Shindo walked inside his house and then he finally drove away. The music was quieter but my foot still tapped the floor of the car. Kojiro liked this English band called Nirvana. I also liked this band and how they sang. The lead singer had a rasp to his voice which made the music good and nothing like I listened to before. All three of us listened to different bands but we all still liked it a respected our music taste. 

Kojiro's car stopped in front of my house and I smiled a goodbye smile at him as I left the car. He waved and I waved back before walking into my house quietly and taking my shoes off. 

--

Btw the songs that are mentioned are:

1. LA Devotee by Panic at the Disco 

2. Take Me Away from Freaky Friday ost

(this one was already mentioned)
4. MECHANICAL DANCE by LUNA SEA

5. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana

- author