Chapter 17

It was early morning, three in the morning to be precise. I couldn't sleep and it was bugging me. I tossed and turned in my sheets. I eventually sat up in my bed, wrapping my arms around my legs. I was frustrated with myself. I wanted to sleep but my body wouldn't listen to me. It was fun staying up with friends, but being alone? I couldn't stand it some nights. Tonight was one of those nights. I decided to grab my phone from the nightstand and call Kojiro's number. It rang for a couple of seconds before the other accepted the call.

" What's up? Why are you calling me this late?" Kojiro's voice went through my ears. I could tell he was tired. A burning feeling erupted in my throat and my eyes stung with tears.

" I don't wanna be alone, I can't sleep," I said in a whisper. Tears streamed down my cheeks. I don't know why I was crying. I hated crying in front of him. I sniffled and layed my head on my knees. "  Can you come over?"

The call was silent.

" Please?"

" Yeah, um, do you want me to stay there?" He asked. I could hear him shuffling around on the other side. I took a deep, shaky breath to calm myself. 

" Please? I need you," My bottom lip shook, ready for me to cough out a cry again. 

" Don't cry, Kaoru, I'm coming,"  I heard him call to his parents, telling them that he was coming over. 

I felt bad. I'm just so sensitive. I was frustrated at myself, there was no reason for someone else to get involved. I'm such an idiot. I stared at my phone, debating in my head to tell Kojiro not to come over. He didn't need to come. It was three in the morning, he was probably super tired and wanted to go to bed. He probably didn't want to come but felt he had to. 

I heard his motorcycle stop in front of the house and I looked up, my eyes wide. I stood up and looked through the curtains, seeing his recognizable figure walking towards the door. I started bolting to the door he was going to. 

" Kaoru," Kojiro called. I could see him in the doorway and I kept running. " You're knight is here!" He looked at me as I kept running. " Kaoru?" I jumped at him, wrapping my arms around his neck. He stumbled back but didn't fall. I took shaky breaths as I pulled away from him. Tears fell down as I struggled to hold them back. I looked away as I wiped them.

" Thank you for putting up with me," I said, giving him a small, airy chuckle, which I used to try to make it less sad. He wrapped his arm around me.

" Are you okay?" He asked me. His hands went through my hair and he rubbed my back. I took shaky breaths and nodded. " Alright, are you ready to go to bed?" His arm stayed on my back as we walked to my bedroom. 

" Yeah, I'm really fucking tired," I answered. I layed my head on his shoulder as we continued walking.

" I bet," He said as we walked into my bedroom.