Chapter 11

During my week off, I continued calligraphy even when my mind was somewhere else. I could tell I was back on track and starting to get better. Maybe this is what I needed. Maybe I was experiencing burnout. Maybe I just needed a break. It was good to let the rest of the staff have a break too. It was quiet in the room beside some soft instrumental traditional music. I added small touches to the words that I wrote. 

A knock erupted my concentration and I looked up. Kojiro was in my doorway to this room, leaning against the wall and looking down on me. I looked back down to my parchment.

" You're supposed to take off your shoes, you know that," I pointed out, dipping my brush in the black ink bottle.

" I need you to taste-test for me," He said. 

" Can't you see I'm working?" I said, looking up at him. 

" I thought you were taking a break," He said. I sighed. He was right. But I didn't want to give in.

" I can still get better, muscle-brain," I said setting my brush in the bottle so it wouldn't drip. 

" Okay, well, I didn't need that sass," He said, pushing off the wooden doorway. " So will you?"

I sighed. " Sure." I picked up my brushes and closed my ink bottle. I walked passed the taller individual to the kitchen. I washed my brushes and set them on a paper towel next to the sink. I pushed up my glasses and put my shoes on. Kojiro and I walked out of my house and I locked the door. 

-- Timeskip Brought to You by Author --

Once I sat down in Sia la luce, Kojiro brought over multiple dishes that he prepared ahead of time. I took a bite of each, one after the other, and gave my opinion on each of them. I knew what each of them needed and how to help him cook it a little bit better. Kojiro was already a great cook but sometimes he needed my help to figure out what else is needed. We've been doing this since before he opened Sia la luce.

I helped him cook it and season it and put it together. I had my ponytail slightly tighter and not as low as it usually is. I also had my own apron on. Kojiro and I worked together to make the meals better. This went on for almost four hours. 

And eventually, the final dishes were made and we both tasted them. All of them were delicious a good meal for his restuarant, I told him. He was happy and so was I. It was close to 6:00 PM when I left Sia la luce and walked back to my home.