Chapter 14

Me. 

I was going against Adam. I took a deep breath and walked over to the starting line. I couldn't wait to go against him. I've been waiting for this day to come for seven years. For seven years I have held a grudge against him. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. And get rid of it in the best way possible. Through a beef. I was confident. So confident. Sorry, Kojiro, but I'm going to do this. 

The alarm went through the whole area as a way to let the skaters and bystanders know that the beef was going to start soon.

" I've been waiting for this day, Adam," I said to him. 

" I didn't want to fight you," He said.

" You've been avoiding my request for a beef for years," I told him. It was true. I hated how he wouldn't even respond to my requests. I hated him.

" Oh? Have I?" He said, playing dumb to what we both knew was true. 

" Oh, don't act dumb," I consulted him. 

" Kaoru!" We both turned to see Joe running in my direction. Once he was in front of me, he tried to speak but no noise came out. 

" Don't tell me not to do this, because I won't listen to you," I told him and turned around. " I'll beat him right now and you'll watch me do it."

" I swear, if you lose, I'll laugh at you," He said, chuckling. 

" Are you two done flirting now? Because I just want to get this over with," Adam's voice said, interrupting our conversation. I took a breath and turned around, facing the road to skate on. 

The stoplight went from red to green and we both started at the same time and speed in an instant. We were even to each other and I felt the wind whip past my face. I was so concentrated, everything seemed like a quick practice. But I was still nervous. I had a feeling in my gut. Adam went ahead to try out his Love Hug on me. I wasn't so easily fooled. I closed my eyes and asked Carla to count down the seconds until the corner. By the time she said 'one' I slipped past my rival and got ahead of Adam. I'm going to win. Adam was a few feet behind me but it wasn't bad. You weren't expecting me to dodge that, were you. You wouldn't have done it if you were expecting me to dodge, right? 

Adam was beginning to get even with me, I wasn't going to let that happen. I slide a little closer to him, hitting his board. I need to know if you have changed. Adam started slowly breaking and moving away from me but I knew something was up. I ordered Carla for high-speed and she delivered. I began skating further and further away from him. My board became longer and Carla continued calculating my answers for me. 

I am going to win against him.

I knew how I was playing wasn't like me, but against Adam, I needed to win. I needed to be ahead. I needed to get to the finish line first. I needed to end the beef he started. Carla transformed the skateboard shorter as I asked. 

Adam moved passed and got in front of me. What is he going to do? Adam started tapping his feet against his board. He flailed his arms in the air as if he was dancing. You crazy bastard. You won't take me down.

" You're too optimistic, aren't you?" Adam said. 

He slipped off his board and picked it up in a flash. His board was spinning and he was running toward me. Then my head was spinning and I was on the floor. My pulse was pounding in my head. I couldn't move any muscle in my body if I tried. 

"As I thought, you're skating has stayed the same." I heard his voice in my ears. I wasn't sure if it was my own conscience or actually him. My mind was in a daze. What was going on?  " It's always overcalculated, that's why you can't beat me. Let me tell you why I didn't want to fight against you." My eyes cleared and I stared at the masked man standing over me. " You were just too boring."  My eyes got blurry again and colored spots started to form in my eyes. I was going to lose conscience. Why now?  There was a thudding that kept getting louder and louder as it neared my head.

" Kaoru!" I knew that voice. Kojiro's face moved into my view and I looked up to him. I wanted to speak but I didn't know how to. I couldn't move. " Come on, Kaoru, get a grip!" Kojiro pleaded with me. I didn't know what to do. I've never felt this helpless in a long, long time.

" You know, I really tried to have fun, but," Adam looked down at the both of us. " Cherry was just too boring." 

" Adam, you son of a bitch!" Kojiro shouted at him. A car pulled up and Shadow's voice told Joe to get in. They needed to get me to a hospital. Kojiro picked me up and brought me into the car. Everything was blurry and I couldn't see very well. 

" How is he?" Miya's voice asked. Kojiro didn't answer, taking my mask down. Kojiro just kept looking at me. His hand was on my cheek. 

" Just look at me, Kaoru, I need you to stay conscious." He pleaded. I tried my best to follow his instructions. It was really hard to fight my injured brain and want to listen to him. It felt like I wasn't breathing but I eventually realized that I was. I'm glad I was. My head leaned against Kojiro's arm. 

" Can't you go any faster?" Kojiro asked. 

" I'm trying!" Shadow shouted back. I winced at the noise. I kept hearing a ringing in my ears and it seemed to get louder and louder. I wanted to move my arm and cover my ears but I still couldn't move.

" Be quieter, please," Kojiro asked, in a more natural voice than before. He knew what I wanted. I was glad about that. Shadow sighed and apologized. Kojiro kept looking down at me as the ride went on. I felt we were getting closer, there were more lights out of the window. The car stopped and Miya and Shadow hopped out and opened the door for Joe and me. 

" You're okay, you're okay, you're okay," Joe muttered under his breath. I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or reassuring himself. We were right outside the entrance to the hospital when I lost consciousness.