Chapter 15

I was laying down. I wasn't sure where I was. I opened my eyes and a blindingly white light splashed into my eyesight. I closed my eyes again, waiting a moment for my eyes to get used to the light before reopening them. A groan came out of my throat as I looked around. I was in a hospital. I made it? 

" Kaoru?" I looked to my right the best I could with my injured head. Kojiro was sitting next to me, he had an orange and white striped shirt on paired with some jeans. He stood up quickly and stood next to my hospital bed. 

" Hey," I said, giving him a reassuring smile. My voice didn't sound like my own. It sounded raspy and airy. His red eyes looked down at me. His hand found my non-injured hand and grasped it tightly. I sighed and looked up at the ceiling. " Well, that was a hell of a ride," I said, thinking back to the event last night. Was it last night?

" You were reckless," He said, still watching me. He pulled a seat over and sat down, still holding my hand.

" I know," I said, looking at him. " But I'm okay."

" No you're not," He fought back, trying not to raise his voice. I squeezed his hand.

" I'm alive, aren't I?" I told him. Kojiro bit his bottom lip apprehensively. His eyes would match with mine for a moment. I let him be and looked at the ceiling again. A few minutes of silence went by but Kojiro didn't let go of my hand and I didn't let go of his. I decided to speak out loud. " These curtains are too thin. And this bed is uncomfortable." I saw a small smile form on Kojiro's face. That made me smile.

" Excuse me," a nurse came into the room. She was young, probably early twenties, with dark hair that was tied into a bun. Her eyes were thin with dark, long lashes. She had plump, pink lips. She looked like a woman that Kojiro would try to pick up. " Waiting hours are over."

" Sorry," Kojiro said. He stood up, his hand slipping out of mine. I watched him leave the room. The nurse looked after him too. I twinge of jealousy wrapped around my heart as I saw the look in her eyes. Stop.

" How are you feeling, Mr. Sakurayashiki?"  The nurse came into my room. I checked her name tag. Kure Fujisaki. 

" I'm feeling pretty okay," I answered. She nodded. 

" Alright, well, we'll let you out in a few more days. You just need more time to heal and we would like to be there if anything happens." I nodded in understanding of her statements. She picked up a clipboard and read quickly over anything on the paper. " Also, you will either need a friend or one of the nurses to help you with your daily life once you are okay to leave."

" I see," I said.  

" That is all for any news," Fujisaki looked up from her clipboard and smiled at me. " I'll bring your dinner in a few more hours, alright?"

" Sounds good," I answered. 

" Is there anything I can help you with?" She asked me, putting her clipboard down. " More water? Fewer pillows or blankets? Help to move at all?" 

It took me a moment but I got an answer. " Can you open the curtains for me, please?" She nodded and walked over to the curtains and opened them. I could see the other buildings and the afternoon sky. " Thank you." 

" Of course!" She said, smiling again. " Anything else?" 

" That is all, thank you," I answered her.