We Only See Each Other at Weddings and Funerals Part 3

Eight's Pov

"What's the date? The exact date."

"The 24th." Vanya replied.

"Of what?" Five spoke in an annoyed and impatient tone.

"March."

"Good."

"So, are we gonna talk about what just happened? It's been 17 years." Luther butted in.

"It's been a lot longer than that." Five scoffed spatial jumping behind Luther.

"I haven't missed that."

"Where'd you go?" I spoke up curious and also confused.

"The future. And it's shit, by the way." He spoke looking me up and down.

I furrowed my eyes. What was that look for?

"Called it! Hand it over." Klaus said putting his hand in front of me.

"Ugh, this is all I have." I said handing him a $20. "Can't believe I betted that."

"I should've listened to the old man." Five continued. "You know, jumping through space is one thing, jumping through time is a toss of the dice.. Nice dress." He said nodding at Klaus.

"Oh, well, danke!"

"Wait, how did you get back?" I asked.

"In the end, I had to project my consciousness forward into a suspended quantum state version of myself that exists across every possible instance of time."

"Oh ok." I nodded actually understanding it while everyone looked at me in disbelief.

"That makes no sense." Diego spoke still looking at me.

"It would if you were smarter." Five spoke taking a bite out of his sandwich.

Diego tried to run at him but Luther stopped him.

"How long were you there?"

"Twenty-two years. Give or take."

"So you're 35?" I gasped. (I prolly didn't get the math right, not my strong suit tbh.)

"No, my consciousness is 35. Apparently, my body is now 13 again." He said almost glaring at me. "Delores kept saying the equations were off. Eh. Bet she's laughing now."

"Delores?" I asked.

"Guess I missed the funeral."

That mother fucker ignored me.

"How'd you know about that?" Luther asked.

"It's the future, did the moon really mess your brain up that bad?" I answered.

Five nodded. "Heart failure, huh?"

"No."

"Yes."

"Nice to see nothing's changed. Also, Eight I have some questions for you." Five said walking away. I followed.

"Uh, that's it? That's all you have to say?"

"What else is there to say? The circle of life."

-☂︎-

"All we have are uniforms. It's fucked." I said sitting on Five's bed.

"Ah, shit."

"Anyway, what did u want to ask me?"

"Why are you.. 13 again?" Five said looking at me and then turning around to get dressed.

"When you left our dear old Dad challenged me more than the others because he thought it was my fault, I ended up trying to get you back, finding out I had another power and almost dying." I signed. "He had to freeze my growth to stop my injuries from getting worse."