- Chapter Thirty-One -

"I can't wait to marry you," I murmur against the side of Lizzie's neck as I leave kisses in between my words

"I can't wait to marry you," I murmur against the side of Lizzie's neck as I leave kisses in between my words. "You already did," she says, her voice slightly shaky as I push her up against the shower wall.

"And I don't regret how I did it," I state. I don't care that I forced her onto that plane, I also don't regret having the wedding before the actual date. I knew that if Lizzie ran again— which would be a stupid move on her part, I'd be able to find her. "You should," Lizzie comments as I lift one of her thighs up to wrap around my torso. "Do you want me to regret it?" I ask instead, I stop my kissing altogether as I pull back to watch her expression change from high on lust, to hate. "I just want freedom," she whispers, the exhaustion is clear as day.

We won the football game today, the press was everywhere trying to get photos, and statements. It was obvious to me how overwhelmed Lizzie was getting. I offered to drive her home, but I never clarified which home. Because wherever I am, as long as I'm with her— I'm at peace. I can breathe, she's not the only one going through these changes. My father calls me once a week to check on how everything's going, and with the wedding approaching, he's even more anxious. Everyone in the Famille is on edge, if I don't go through with this— we're fucked. I fucked us up by betraying the correlation with Chicago.

"You're free now," I say as my fingers that grip her thigh lighten. "You can go," I reframe, but all Lizzie does is a sigh as she leans her head against the wall behind her. She knew she'd never be free from me— she could be on an island in the middle of the Atlantic, and I'd still find her to be by her side. It's me and her until the bitter end, as fucked up as that truly sounds. These violent delights have violent ends. How true that claim is, we are from two rival families, one that cuts deep— even before me and Lizzie. We were both destined for an unhappy ending. Mine started when I allowed Lizzie to walk away from me.

She wasn't a game. How I felt, wasn't a lie. But Lizzie believes it is because I told her what my father wanted to hear— what my brothers wanted to hear. If I could take it all back... I still would have killed Giovanni Pazi. That's no lie, he was a thorn at my side. He wasn't innocent either as Lizzie would claim. No one in this life is innocent.

My feelings of love for her weren't a game.

"When you go silent, that's when I worry," Lizzie whispers as I glance up to see her gaze fixed on me. My fingers still gripping her thigh which is wrapped around me. "You don't need to worry when you're with me," and that's the truth. Whenever I'm around Lizzie is always safe, whether she knows it or not. "Because you won't hurt me," Lizzie says with a sigh. I'd rather kill myself than hurt her. I've hurt her in the past, not physically— but when I betrayed her, it hurt both of us. When we were at the funeral, she asked if she was a game, I lied there which caused both of us pain. Because that's all I do— I hurt others.