Chapter 36

Axel's POV: 

It's been 2 weeks since Grant and I got engaged. I earned my truck back and my meds have really started to work and I have been feeling better than I have felt in a long time. I convinced Grant to go back to his Theater club meetings. Last week, I had to go with him to the school and Jaxon showed up early to hang out with me. We ended up messing around in the music room, he could actually play guitar pretty good.  I still haven't sang for real in front of anyone though. The talent show director overheard us playing and wants us to try out for the talent show but I don't know yet. 

This week, Grant is allowing me to drive myself to school as long as I meet him, Jaxon, and Maddi at my locker, no later than 745. Which unless I speed... I wouldn't be making. I was rushing around, looking for my brace, when I fucking wiped out and fell down the stairs. My ribs were a lovely shade of blue and purple, my elbow was dark purple, my knee hurt from being smashed. I had a small cut on my eyebrow that bled all over my clothes and wouldn't stop bleeding for forever. Thus making me late leaving our house and thus going to make me late getting to the school. 7:47 and a call started ringing through my Bluetooth. I hit accept. 

"Hello?" 

"Where are you?" 

"I'm on my way. I'm at the intersection to the school waiting for the light to turn." 

"You're late." 

"I know... I sorta fell down the stairs." I winced. 

"What? Are you okay?" He sounded alarmed. 

"Yeah... Just sore. Some bruises.... and I may have a cut on my eyebrow that wouldn't stop bleeding." 

"You're driving while bleeding?" 

"No. I got it to stop. I'm parking now." 

"Okay. See you in a minute." 

"Love you." 

"Love you too." He hung up. 

I turned the truck off and gingerly climbed out. I grabbed my bag from the passenger seat before locking the truck up and heading into the school. I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts... which looking at it now was probably a bad idea seeing as it was like 37 degrees out and winter. Everyone was staring at the bruising that was on my arm and leg and the cut on my face. I rolled my eyes. It wasn't even that bad. I rounded the corner towards my locker when I collided with a body. I grunted and fell to the ground, holding my ribs at the harsh movement. 

"Axel? Are you okay?" 

I groaned and held my hand out to coach, allowing him to pull me up. "I'm good." 

"What happened to you?" His eyes ran over my bruising. 

"I fell down the stairs... Cause I was late and couldn't find my brace." I winced. 

"Wow. You are very clumsy lately. You slipped in the showers after the game last week, you fell running up the stairs yesterday at practice." He chuckled. 

"What can I say? Stairs are out to get me." I shrugged. 

"Well go on ahead then. Now I know why Grant looked so panicked this morning. You going to be good for the game tonight?" 

"Yeah, Coach. Wouldn't miss it!" I smiled as I walked past him.

I sped walked over to my locker where Grant was standing back to me talking to Jaxon and Maddi. I leaned my head against his back and wrapped my arms around his waist. He touched my hands gently before nudging me. I pulled back knowing he wanted to see me.