Chapter 36

The elevator seems to be taking it's precious time whenever I have somewhere important to be

The elevator seems to be taking it's precious time whenever I have somewhere important to be. I feel like I've been stuck in here for many slow minutes already. However, I wouldn't mind that too much.

I'm currently heading to the fourth floor of the mansion, over to where Harlow normally is. I don't know where to go first, her office or her bedroom. I just hope she's in them.

But then I also hope she isn't because that'll stop me from doing whatever I'm doing and stop me from saying what I want to say.

I'm contemplating to press the button to the ground floor before it's too late, but the elevator pings as if to hit me with the 'It really is too late' and the doors slide open, revealing the top floor.

Oh why, why didn't I think twice?

I step out of the elevator, and luckily no one is around so I can roam around quick enough to find out where Harlow is.

I figure since it's still day time, she'll be in her personal office.

I trot over to the door slowly, though every step I make feels ten times longer that it really is and I happen to find myself outside of Harlow's office door pretty quickly.

Fuck.

Do I knock once? Or maybe a couple times? Is there a special knock?

I do the signature 'Knock three times' and put my hand behind my back with my other one, where my fingers tangle and twist.

I wait. I wait again, for a few more seconds.

Maybe she's not in here?

I knock again, three times, but I find myself waiting for the second time.

Fuck it.

"Ha- Miss DeLaine?! It's Elodie, Hart, I wanted to speak to you-"

Before my sentence comes to a finish the door swings open and reveals Harlow.

My eyes drift first to her outfit, it being absolutely neat and charming. Her black dress pants fit perfectly, with the heels, she always seems to be wearing heels. I cant comprehend how she does it. Then I avert my gaze up and notice that Harlow's upper half is tailored with a black lacy top, covered slightly with a pitch black blazer.

When I meet her eyes, I see a glance of her usual frowned face. Except her eyebrow is raised.

"And have you finished taking in my appearance or should I give you more time to stare?" Shoot, Elodie, never do that again.

"I'm sorry- I didn't mean to-"

She cuts me off almost immediately. "Why are you here? I have things to do, it better be good."

My hands find their way to my front and I bring them up so they're level with my waist, before I start to speak again.

"I wanted to speak to you. Discuss some- things I just wanted to- sorry, can I come in?" I ask her, thinking someone would come out of one of these rooms right now and see a simple maid talking to her boss, in an awkward way.