Chapter Four : Missionaries - New Guild (3)

As we got closer to the Exception, the ground was shaking under our feet. I could hear the roar of the Exception echo around us and the scream of Angel Transients as it forced them back alive. "Ahhhhhh! It hurts... It hurts!"

The Exception indiscriminately revives corpses from among the piles of victims the zombies have slain. But they aren't any trouble to deal with because of the help of Kengo and Shiro and the Aoyama Guild. After a few more seconds of running, we were finally close enough to see the Exception.

I got ready to fight against the Exception. I felt the usual nervousness, but I was determined to get this over with. I check in with Ryota and it wasn't looking good. He looked like he was close to collapsing as I looked over at him. "Eek!... So that's the Exception!"

Though it has the form of a human, it is anything but. Its presence and aura are overwhelming. When a miracle of epic proportions is forced into the size of a human being, this is the result. If people were to witness this, what some might call God, the mere sight would crush them.

In fact, Ryota's mind seems to have already reached its limit. "Ugh... Uuaagh! I'm scared. I'm terrified, Masato!" Ryota crouches down, unable to move. He is shaking his head as his breathing is out of control.

"No... No! Don't leave me behind, Masato! I thought I could do it... Until just now, I really thought I could... But I can't! I'm shaking, and all I want is to throw up! How can you confront something like that? I... I can't do it!" Ryota is shaking badly as he remains in his crouch position.

"I need your help to get through this. Don't worry. I'm with you." I crouch down and grab Ryota's hands in my own. I rest my forehead against his and stay like that until the shaking in his hands stops. The dull look in his eyes brightened up at my words, and he held my hands tight.

"It's okay. I'm... still scared... but as long as you're with me, Masato... I can feel everyone with us too... Shiro, Kengo, and even Choji! Everyone from Aoyama who helped us, and Zabaniyya, too! I can't let their efforts go to waste! Let's do this, Masato!" Ryota got up from his crouching position and I follow him, still holding his hands.

I squeeze his hands one last time before letting go and turning to face the colossal figure of the Exception. I could hear my heart beating loudly in my ears, but I just ignored it. I summoned my Sword to my hand and get into position before rushing at the Exception with a shout.

A Few Moments Of Intense Fighting...

As the Exception swung down with his spear in Ryota's direction, I quickly got in the way and parried with my Sword. I could feel my Sword vibrate in my hands because of the force of the Exception swing. It took me everything I had not to drop my sword to the ground.

"Masato! Heal the wounded... Ultimate Supper!" Ryota healed my wounds once again, but I could feel myself slowly getting tired from how long this battle seems to go on. Just trying to deflect the Exception's attacks emits shock waves that continuously chip away at Ryota's and mine vitality.

Ryota's Sacred Artifact heals my wounds, but I cannot get any significant blows. Slowly but surely, I could feel my mental capacity wane. I am sure Ryota is noticing this as well as I can feel his concerned gaze on me.

"There's no end to this! What can I do?! What would the others do in this situation? Fight? No, I'll just be a nuisance! Then again... they do this kinda thing in manga all the time! At the very least, I can distract it...!" Ryota grabs his Sacred Artifact and takes a step forward. I could see that his knees were shaking and was sweating pretty badly.

"If I can divert the enemy's attention... Yeah... That's what I can do right now!" Just as Ryota was going to run forward, I reached out and pulled him back behind me. "Masato? But at this rate..."