Berserkers - The Helpless Ones (1)

After cutting down an enemy who got in my way I finally got to Kengo side. I hold my hand out to him, waiting for him to grab it. He stared at it for a second before smiling and getting off the ground. I kept my hand on his shoulder, once I saw him about to lose his balance.

"Phew! Thanks for the help. But why did you even come? I made a big show of leaving.... and you ruined it. You even brought No. 8 with you. As for that old swindler who tagged along... I won't waste my breath." Kengo looked away with a frown on his face once he saw Andvari. Andvari stumbles over his foot and looks at Kengo with an insulted expression.

"Hey! That's pretty rude! You should thank me with some coins for coming to help you, No. 6! And I'm not old! I'm a young buck in dwarven years!" Andvari knocked down an enemy who went to attack him as he was speaking to Kengo. I was rather surprised he was good at fighting, thinking he was only good with money.

"You're not so bad in a fight, either, Andvari. You should throw your hat in the ring as a gladiator. Not only are you physically strong, but you have some interesting things like curses up your sleeve, don't you?" Bathym landed a hard kick on an enemy who tried to sneak up on him, sending his flying hard into a wall, leaving behind an imprint in said wall.

"Are you kidding? Who'd manage the books if I started fighting?" Andvari takes out the last of the enemy, resting his axe on his shoulder. All around us, there were a bunch of knocked out enemies. Oniwaka was glaring at us hard and holding his spear tightly.

"Oniwaka, take a good look at the situation you've got yourself into. You might as well surrender. You might not like hearing this from me after I switched sides, but that's the way the dice rolls. You have no chance of winning." Bathym motioned to all of the knocked out allies of Oniwaka, showing him that he was by himself in this.

"It's not my place to talk, either, but... Your allies have all scattered or fled. Now that I think about it, that kid with the knife left you high and dry, too. But, hey! Chin up! You're the No. 3 here! I'm sure you'll make up for it in coins soon enough!" Andvari backs up what Bathym just said, causing Oniwaka's expression to get unreadable and I was surprised he didn't just attack right away.

"Must be a hard pill to swallow. I mean, I sure didn't think it'd turn out this way. All I have is my strength. I regret that it wasn't enough to settle this, but..." Kengo stared down Oniwaka, slowly drifting off from what he was saying. It was quiet as both of them stared at each other before Oniwaka's shoulders started to shake as he laughed. "What the hell's so funny?" Kengo glares at the still laughing Oniwaka.

"Hahahahaha! What isn't funny about this? What, do I look that pitiful to you? You think I want your sympathy? Friends? No. 3? They don't mean a damned thing. Never did! I bullied those guys into following me. That was the extent of our relationship. I never expected loyalty. The fact that you even think like that is what makes you so naive. That's the kind of crap only Haves spew. For someone like you to talk as if you're a Have Not... That naivety is so hilarious. You have no idea what it's really like to have nothing. You don't know the dread that comes from falling through pitch darkness with nothing to cling to. Strength is all you've got...? Ha! No one in this world has the right to say that but me! Hear my words! Don't you dare try to take that from me! This is why you piss me off, Takabushi Kengo!" Oniwaka angrily said that to Kengo and I couldn't help but feel sad for him. 'Is this what I would have been like if I came to this world alone without no one there for me?'

From The Shadow Nearby....

Kirito observing the proceedings from afar narrows his eyes at Oniwaka's statement. "Oniwaka... You are a thuggish, hopeless fool of a man, but... I admit I'm sympathetic for what you've been through. And that's about it..." Kirito whispers go unnoticed and he takes his leave without anyone being the wiser.