Chapter Two: Clash Of The Divine Artifacts Transient From An Unknown Town (1)

At the end of the twentieth century, Gates connected to other worlds opened in Tokyo. From them, strange creatures poured into our world. Werewolves, angels, demons, replicants, and all manner of creatures emerged on that day. . .

Creatures that resemble humans. . . yet were not quite human themselves, gathered here, in Tokyo. Fear of the creatures ran rampant. They were completely unknown beings with completely foreign ways.

They possessed incredible destructive power and magic beyond humanity's wildest dreams. Humanity couldn't be blamed for fearing that which was beyond their capacity to understand. Both creatures and humans took advantage of one another, but they knew they could never come to an understanding.

However, even in times like these, there were those who wished for peaceful co-existence. Several years have passed since that fateful day. The fact that Tokyo borders countless other worlds has become a part of everyday life for its inhabitants.

Tokyo was designated as a Joint Management Region by the Japanese government and the UN, facilitating the creation of new laws and establishments. Many of the creatures that come to Tokyo from other worlds receive legal status as foreign exchange students.

They transmigrate through the walls between worlds in a flash of light . . . Thus, the people of Tokyo call those sentient beings transferred to this world. . . Transients.

"And that's about the sum of it." Mr. Mononobe said this while closing his teacher book and look at the classroom.

"It's been a long time since the word Transient was designated to refer to people from other worlds. Every Transient is under the legal control of a school somewhere. They live their lives as students or teachers. Transients also look vastly different from the primary intelligent species of this world, humans. Barring extenuating circumstances, hiding such differences is illegal by city ordinance. In other words, you can tell right away if someone is a Transient. They can have wings, horns, tails, or some other external feature that makes it clear. The Transient population is growing every year, but good citizens like yourselves already know that, don't you? Transients are only allowed to live within the city. Leaving city grounds is severely restricted. Nowadays, you don't come across people from outside Tokyo often, so transfer students have become a rarity. However, today, we just so happen to have one of those rare transfers joining our school. Right, Masato?" Mr. Mononobe said this while smiling at me making me blush a little under his stare.

"Do you have horns, too?" I asked Mr. Mononobe this with my hand raised in the air.

"Hey now, do I look like anything but a human to you?" Mr. Mononobe laugh as he said this with a smile. "Ah, it seems I must wrap things up here. Shiro, if you please" Mr. Mononobe look at the clock in the back of the classroom as he said this.

"Yes, Mr. Mononobe. All right everyone, stand up. Eyes forward." Shiro stands as he said this with a serious expression. "Bow!" Shiro then bow his head as he said this making everyone else copy his movement.

"Now then, let's get right into homeroom. I have an announcement from the teachers' meeting. By the request of the police and other authorities, Shinjuku Academy will be closed for a while, starting tomorrow." Mr. Mononobe said this and everyone in the classroom erupts into cheers.

"Pipe down, kids. It's only for two or three days. Think of it as a surprise holiday. And consider this fair warning. You'll be getting homework for all the classes you miss." Mr. Mononobe said this with a smile causing all the students in the class to yell out in disapproval at this.

"Hahaha. You kids are so fickle. Life isn't all fun and games, you know." Mr. Mononobe said this with a smile and shake his head.

"But I need you to know that we're not closing the school for no reason." Mr. Mononobe expressions get serious as he said this and the class grows quiet.