Chapter 9- The Regal Family

I knocked on Aria's door. "Come in," I heard her call from inside. I pushed open the door, and I find her sitting on the bed (fully clothed this time). 

"You called?" I said. She motioned for me to sit down. I take a seat next to her. She turns and faces me. Her eyes, made direct contact with mine.

"I would like to apologize for my earlier behavior," she begins. "I shouldn't have let you finger me."

"It's alright," I said flashing a smile. "I couldn't do it because of Felix."

She looks at me confused.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I'm Felix's retainer," I began. "I wouldn't have been able to face him if I did that with his fiancé." She smiles softly at me.

"You're so kind. Felix must think highly of you." I blushed. I really hope he does. That would be amazing if he did.

"You must think highly of him too. You're getting married," I say. Her face sank. It's worse than her usual stoic appearance. This time it looks hurt, depressed even. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"I don't love Felix," she stated plainly. I feel like I should be more surprised, but for some reason I'm not. 

"Why are you marrying him then?" I ask. She sighed, standing up, walking over toward the window.

"It's an arranged marriage. My parents and his are forcing us to get married." An arranged marriage? That sounds shitty. Why would you marry someone who your parents choose? Shouldn't you marry for love?

"Why?" I asked. She shrugged.

"When I was 15 my parents told me that I was to marry him once he reached age 18. They said that it was an opportunity for our family to establish power in another country. And since I wouldn't inherit the throne I would be perfect to be wed off."

"Why you?" I asked.

"In my family, I'm the closest to his age. My eldest sister, Viola, she's 23. So she'll claim the throne in two years," she tells me.

"What about your other siblings?" I ask.

"My second eldest sister, Bea, she's second for the throne so if something were to happen to Viola, she would get it. My sister, Calliope, she..."

 "She what?" I asked, intrigued. Once again, her face sinks into depression.

"She ran away when I was eleven. She's a year older than me." she lamented. I'm so shocked. She's been gone for SIX YEARS?! 

"Your sister's been gone six years. And you guys have no idea where she went?" she shakes her head. Wow. I never would have ever guessed that she'd be gone that long. I wonder if that's the reason Aria's so stoic all the time. Did she go numb because her sister left? There's only one way to find out. "What's your relationship with your family like?" I asked. She doesn't immediately answer.

"Loveless," she says, finally answering. 

"How so?"

"I rarely see my parents. They're always off somewhere and they have little time for me and my sisters. Last time I saw them in real life was probably around one year ago. My sister's are really all I have and even then, sometimes they're too occupied. Viola with her duties of being heir, she was always so mature and wise. Bea, she does a lot with our military, and training she's very strong. Calliope and I were closest. We told each other everything," she said. Tears started to run down her face, she was trying desperately to keep herself calm. "The last time I saw her, she said that she didn't know if she could live with us anymore. Her and my father... they had gotten into a fight."