Chapter 16: Ride or Die

It was already day five of the tournament. I was in no mood for racing, not after the night the men and I shared. Five gladiators setting their fellow warrior and friend aflame did not promote the event that I was about to participate in. But I had to move forward; Bash wouldn't want me to give up on his account. I had to save my brother. I was just two events away.

I tightened Bash's leather band around my forearm to strengthen my resolve.

If the gloom hanging over me wasn't enough to make this event unbearable, I had the added anxiety of riding a horse for the first time in eight years. Marcus and I spent most of our time walking, sailing, or sneaking a ride in a cart while on the run. Never did we travel by horseback for fear of easy exposure. The last time I rode on a horse was with Decimus as children. As a surprise for my tenth birthday, he arranged a picnic in an open field just outside the Capitol, followed by a ride through the country on horseback. If it weren't for our escort of guards, it would almost seem romantic for such young children.

Eight years is a long time for someone to go without practice, especially when they are expected to master the art in a matter of seconds to secure a victory. Crossing the finish line meant that I would definitely get a spot in the following day's surprise event, which then determined which two gladiators had the privilege to fight in the finale.

Crossing the finish line was not going to be an easy task. All gladiators had to race around the track ten times, all while fighting off one another. The more gladiators you take out, the better your chances. If you could no longer ride, then you were left to die. Many gladiators perished in this event simply due to the fact that they were trampled after falling from their horse. If they couldn't move to get off the course in time for the next leg of the race, they were goners. The physicians didn't enter the arena until the race was over, but it was rare for them to find a man still breathing.

After surveying the track, I noticed that Maximus didn't fail to add a few extra obstacles to the event. Walls of various sizes littered the track; some were meant as hurtles while others were so tall that they could only lead to a crash. Some of the Emperor's men stood on podiums to trigger various nets, while others stood along the railings with bows and spears in their hands to take us down if we didn't provide enough entertainment. There were also a couple of platforms displaying various weapons that we could grab as we passed. Instead of the usual danger of just bumping each other off our horses, Maximus wanted us to wound, if not kill, to get in the lead.

Theo and I said our goodbyes to our friends in the tunnel, not wanting to leave it until it was too late as we did for Bash. It was all very formal, specifically because I didn't want to get into anything too personal with Evander and the scruffy man while the others were watching. It was just a lot of well wishes, hands shaking, and forced smiles to ease our minds. Evander knew I wanted to say more, but his smile stopped me; he was sure that this wouldn't be the end.

The scruffy man was more pessimistic, just like me. If Bash's death taught us anything, it was that any one of us could go at any time. This very well could be the last time we saw each other, but he held onto whatever it was he wanted to say or do as way of goodbye. He couldn't protect me this time, and that was just eating away at him. We exchanged an awkward handshake for appearance sake. It carried on for far too long, for neither one of us wanted to let go. Theo's voice signaling the start of the event brought me back, and I pulled away from the scruffy man.

Time flew by far too quickly. Before I knew it, Theo and I were mounted on our horses with eighteen other riders, waiting at the starting line for the Emperor to give us the signal.

The crowd roared in anticipation as the Emperor took his place against the railing of his private box, leaning over to greet his people with a forced smile and wave. I could almost see Decimus' eyes rolling at the gesture, reminding me of the boy I once knew. He never cared for his father's theatrics. He used to make me laugh when he mimicked or poked fun at the Emperor's forced behaviour towards his people. Even now I had to hide a smirk at the thought.