Chapter 24: Hello, My Love

My heart was pounding faster and harder with every step the swarm of guards took. It was impossible for the scruffy man and I to survive this; we would be foolish to even try.

But that's what we were; what we had always been.

Fools.

Luckily there was someone smarter on our side that day, despite the consequences that followed. At the time I wanted to stab Kilgorian in the eye for what he did, but looking back on it now, I know that it was our best option.

I was too busy frantically looking in the sands for my discarded weapon to notice Kilgorian sneaking up behind me. It wasn't until the sun reflected off the cold blade at my neck that I realized this fight was over before it even started.

I carefully swallowed the lump that was building in my throat. I couldn't speak, so I simply squeezed the scruffy man's hand to get his attention. He briefly looked over his shoulder, and then did a double-take after processing the situation.

"Drop your sword, Doctore." Kilgorian ordered, "I am not in the habit of committing needless murder."

The scruffy man gripped the handle of his blade even harder, frowning and grinding his teeth in frustration as time rolled by without a solution to our predicament.

"You do not need to die today, Doctore." Kilgorian gestured his head towards the royal box. "But according to your Emperor, she does."

"I follow no man who condemns the innocent."

"You would defy your sovereign?"

"In a heartbeat."

"Is she really worth it?"

"Yes..." He spat back without hesitation. His eyes fell on mine, brimming with tears of frustration and-... and...

Timing was never our strong suit, but this simple declaration and the expression in his eyes proved that he still cared for me. Images of our time together came flooding back in a wave; every smile, attack, laugh, disagreement, touch, and promise.

And the kiss.

My breath caught as I reluctantly unlaced my fingers from his. It was obvious that he wasn't expecting this, so he wasn't prepared to hold on. He was ready to fight anyone who tried to take me, but he wasn't prepared to watch me go willingly. I took a quick step back with Kilgorian, carefully avoiding his blade. The scruffy man helplessly reached out for my hand, eyes wide in confusion and desperation, but I wouldn't break my resolve. In retaliation, he held his sword out with greater force and determination, ready to strike Kilgorian to get me back.

There was no way I could stop the tears from flowing now. I wasn't strong enough to hide how much this hurt.

"Don't." I pleaded with the scruffy man, "Don't do this. Put it down."

"I won't let them take you." He took a step forward.

I could see the surrounding guards closing ranks. I had to move fast if I was going to save him.

"I need you to drop your weapon, scruffy man. I need you to walk away from this. Walk away from me."

"Wild horses couldn't drag me away." Another step forward.

Kilgorian tries to pull me back, but I stand my ground.

"Please let me go. We both knew that this day would come."

"No-"

"I'll be fine."

"HE WANTS YOU DEAD, CANDRA. MAXIMUS IS GOING TO KILL YOU!"