Chapter 45: Her Confession

To spare me from unwanted contact with Decimus, Arlo graciously offered to meet with the Prince in his study every morning from this point onward. He took over my routine; walking in, asking the question, waiting for the answer, and then walking out. I trusted Arlo to get the information back to me as soon as possible.

But there was someone I needed to visit the following morning; a friend that I had been heedlessly avoiding. Arlo, Brutus and Arrian follow me down the halls towards the guard infirmary to see Evander.

After my conversation with Reegan the day before, I had a hard time concentrating whenever Arrian was around. Every time I catch his eye, my heart races and I lose my breath. I have to look away before he suspects something, or before I pull him in for a kiss out in the open. I was slowly losing control of my urges. It had only been a day since Reegan helped me realize what I wanted, and I was already craving him.

Apples. Sweet and tart. Simply delicious.

I was so pathetic that I resorted to sneaking an apple slice into my mouth every time I felt like I was about to lose control. It wasn't the same as tasting it on his lips, but it sufficed.

But I still didn't know how he felt about me. We still needed to talk.

Just kiss the boy... you'll like what happens next.

But first, I had to give Evander back his ring.

We round the corner. Kilgorian is standing by the door to his room, taking his quick morning break to refresh and replenish. He's eating a slice of bread with jam spread across it, talking to his fellow guards in a friendly manner; he almost looks normal.

Arlo seethes as he steps forward, instinctively ready to pounce on the man who almost killed him.

I grab his wrist, catching him by surprise. "What did I say, Arlo?" He doesn't respond as he looks between me and his enemy. "I don't want you to hurt him. Just let it go."

He pulls his wrist away. "Fine, but one day you're going to regret this choice."

"Perhaps... but for now, I need you to leave Kilgorian alone."

"Just keep him out of my way and we won't have a problem." He warns.

Kilgorian looks our way, dropping his smile as he nods respectfully. I ignore his gesture, not ready to interact with him despite the fact that he helped save our lives. He was still a part of the whole torturous business; he could have stopped it sooner.

I lead the men away from Kilgorian, turning another corner to reach the infirmary.

"I need the three of you to wait outside."

Arlo stops me from entering. "Not an option. One of us must be by your side at all times."

"There's only one way in or out. Just do a quick sweep inside the room so I can have a private conversation with my friend."

He sighs. "You're getting a little too bossy for my liking."

"I'm practising. Isn't that what Princesses are supposed to do? Boss everyone around?" I tease, hoping to get on his nerves.

He doesn't fight back. He just rolls his eyes and does what he's told. Arlo throws the infirmary door open and steps inside. I hang back with Brutus and Arrian, acutely aware of how close Arrian is standing behind me; I can feel his breath tickling the back of my neck.

Arlo steps out. "There's no threat, but we're not alone."

Confused, I push past him to enter the room.

Camilla jumps out of her chair when she sees me, forcing herself to curtsy despite her disdain. She mumbles through her teeth. "Lady Candra, I apologise for the intrusion. If I'd known you'd be visiting him this morning, I never would have-"