Chapter 42: Red Tile

"Is it true that my son has sent a troop of men in search of your brother?"

Our salad plates were being cleared before the servants brought out dinner. I thought we would make it through the entire meal in peaceful silence, but Maximus couldn't even give us that.

Emrys and the Empress readjusted uncomfortably in their seats, preparing themselves for the ensuing argument. Decimus tried to look like he was in control and confident with his decision, but he wasn't successful.

I turned to address Maximus, "Yes, the Prince has been so kind as to assist me in finding my remaining family."

It had only been a couple of days since Decimus gave the order. I didn't expect any news so soon, but that didn't stop me from visiting the Prince every morning an hour after breakfast in his study to inquire. At that time he would be going over daily correspondence, so if a letter arrived with information about Marcus or Rhea, I would know immediately. So far our interactions were just a single scene on a loop; I walked in, I asked for any news, he would shake his head regretfully, and then I walked out. I planned to keep up this routine until the day he said yes.

"It's a waste of palace resources." He insisted, "If your brother was captured by Galacians as you claim, he is most certainly dead by now."

"The Galacians have been known to train the men they capture as soldiers."

"If that's the case, he doesn't deserve to be saved. No man who chooses to fight for the Galacians is worth-"

"He didn't choose it. He would have been forced."

"No matter." He dismisses me. "He is still a dead man the moment he steps foot on the battle field. My Romallian soldiers are fierce, more so than some boy. He'll be dead before my men even discover his name."

"You seem to have this reckless tendency to underestimate my family, your Grace. If you recall, it didn't do you any good on my account."

He sneered at my remark. "I will not be made a fool again, Candra."

"Then you shouldn't be so quick to count my brother out. I believe that Decimus' men will find him, alive and well. As the sister to the future Empress, he is now considered a prisoner of war, and therefore among our highest priority. Or would you like to tell the people of Romallia how little you care for this rescue? I can guarantee that you'll lose their favour..."

"If my brother was smart, he would kill Marcus before you had the chance to get him back, just as he did to my first wife and son." His words and tone almost sounded like he admired Gaius for what he did to his first wife and son. We were all briefly stunned by the horror of the thought. Maximus didn't seem to notice. He continued in a threatening voice, "You should beseech Hannibal to keep your brother's identity a secret."

Before I could insult the Emperor further with my retorts, Decimus cut in, "The men have not heard whispers of his name along the border, nor amongst the soldiers in battle. As far as we can tell, Marcus is keeping himself invisible. We hope he will remain so now that Candra is a public figure. And if we're lucky, perhaps he'll come to us."

Emrys agrees, "Now that he knows where his sister is, I'm sure he's on his way to the palace as we speak."

I push my dinner around my plate in silence, hoping everyone would read the room and return to our earlier state of peace.

Again, Maximus finds a reason to irritate me.

"I'm surprised your guard survived the attack at your engagement party."

"He's a strong man."

He smirked. "Not any more. I hear he'll have trouble walking, and wielding a sword is simply out of the question. You'll have to let him go, will you not? He can't very well protect you anymore."