Chapter 53: The Princess's List

Days went by without the return of my friends or further retaliation from Maximus; the Empress wasn't harmed and there was no search party sent out for my former guards and remaining Lady's companion. And with Arlo permanently glued to my side, there were no further assassination attempts on my life. As grateful as I was to not have to defend myself on a daily basis, I had to wonder what Maximus was planning; there was no way that he would just give up and let me marry his son.

The Empress had also left me in peace after our emotional exchange earlier that week. Arlo was very supportive and attentive whenever I needed to vent or break down once more upon reliving the conversation, but I was still left needing something more to get over the hurdle. I knew exactly what I was missing, or I should say who I was missing; I needed Reegan. And knowing that I could never see or talk to her again just put me in an even worse mood. Mourning one of your best friends is never how a girl expects to spend her days prior to her wedding.

So I was scared of Maximus and his future plans for my demise, I was conflicted and hurt by my recently discovered mother's confession, and I was in bereavement over the death of my best friend... my life was one long, tragic ballad.

In my desperation for human connection, I found myself standing outside of Princess Emrys' bedroom door.

"Is the Princess available for visitors?" I ask the guard standing in the hallway.

"She is currently on her way back from a carriage ride with the Empress. Her room will be her first stop once they return to the palace."

Not wanting to wander the halls aimlessly any longer, I decided to wait for her to return. I move to open her door, but the guard stops me.

"I'm sorry, Lady Candra, but the Princess would not approve of intruders in her room-"

"Lady Candra is hardly an intruder. She is the future Empress of Romallia! Are you suggesting that your ruler should wait outside the door like a lowly servant?! Show some respect!" Arlo demands.

The guard blushes at Arlo's chastising words, throwing open the bedroom doors with a flourish. "Apologies, my Lady! I would never intentionally suggest anything discourteous. Please make yourself comfortable. I'll send word to the men at the carriage stables to inform the Princess of your arrival."

We enter the room and Arlo closes the door before the guard can grovel any further. He does a quick sweep of the space before giving me free reign.

Emrys' room matches her personality to perfection; expensive, elaborate, pristine, and imperial. I shouldn't have expected anything less from a girl who was lucky enough to be born into royalty. It was immensely obvious that she had the original look of the room redecorated upon her arrival months ago. Being Decimus' new fiancée and the future Empress of Romallia, no one would dare to deny her vision for her bed chamber. Her colour scheme consisted of lavender and silver, the colours of Nevarus, which worked wonders with all of her marble, diamond, pearl, and white satin accents. The only variation of colour in the room was found in her enormous cabinet of dresses, consisting of every shade of the rainbow. In the middle of the room, resting on top of an elaborate fur rug, sat her ivory four-post bed with a mountain of plush pillows. Off to the side where the fireplace burned bright was a sitting area that was parallel to her vanity. I was drawn towards it by the sparkling tiara resting on a cushion, but I was easily distracted by the piece of parchment resting beside it.

Being the nosy girl that I am, I brushed a hand over the parchment to unfold and discreetly read it.

~ Atticus – a farm fifteen miles north of Steppe

Phoebus – unknown

~ Renita – Brixen whore house in the slums