Chapter 32: Unforeseen Guardians

"It would be quite advantageous for your family to choose me as your companion."

"They're not my family."

She brushed past my comment like she didn't hear it. "My father will be more receptive to negotiations about the trading route on our lands if his daughter became a permanent fixture in court. Don't you agree?"

"I'm sure."

Lady Augustina continued to drone on about her family, her advantageous situation, and the future she would have as my companion. But I didn't hear it. After two hours of mingling with these insipid little girls, who had nothing of real importance to say, I became good at drowning them out while politely nodding as if attentive.

Emrys, her own Lady's companions, and the Empress were a welcome sight during this awful situation. They played their parts well, distracting as many Ladies as possible with their own conversations to lighten the load on me. At the moment, their efforts were so successful that I was only stuck with Augustina for the next few minutes. As she was content with the little attention I pretended to give her, I allowed my mind a moment to wander.

After leaving Hadrien's cell the previous night, I raced back through the halls of the palace to find Decimus again. I wasn't ready to talk to him after our disagreement, but I had little choice. I had to take this matter to him first and pray that he could do enough to sidestep his father's orders. There was no way that Maximus would grant Hadrien any mercy on my request. In fact, I was surprised he hadn't brought the prisoner to my attention sooner just to punish me. Perhaps he was waiting for the perfect moment; too bad I found out first.

I found Decimus in the dining hall, staring down at the bloodstained rug where the assassin's body had fallen. The murdered man was no longer in sight, but the reminder still was. The servants would have to move all the heavy furniture out of the way just to dispose of the rug, and then place a new one down before rearranging the place. It was a lengthy process, but I was confident that it would all be done by the following night's dinner; the Emperor would not tolerate anything less.

Decimus snapped out of his daze when I approached. As soon as he locked onto my pleading eyes, he ordered Kilgorian to step outside of the room for privacy. I hadn't noticed the man lurking in the corner, one hand pressed on the hilt of his sword. He frowned at me with suspicion, always wondering what move I was going to make next. I frowned right back for the same reasons. Kilgorian moved to leave despite the unease. I ordered my guards to do the same.

I wasted no time, explaining everything I discovered to Decimus. He remained silent, pressing his lips into a thin line as I told him what I wanted for Hadrien. I made sure to stress the fact that he was still a prisoner, but deserved at least the comforts of a Doctore's chambers. When Decimus refused to speak, I continued to throw everything I could at him to make the decision easier, and of course, in my favour.

He would still be forced to train the gladiators and prisoners.

A guard can lock his chamber door from the outside and keep watch all night.

It would still be as if he were in a cell.

It's not like putting him in a more public place can do any harm. He is still speechless.

The last one hurt to say out loud, and I wanted to burst into a rage over the torture he faced over the last eight years, but lashing out at Decimus was not going to help my cause. I had to make the Prince believe that Hadrien was meant to be a prisoner, but still held a small place in my heart, making me want better for him. I couldn't let anger drive my motivation. I had to use sentimentality.

"Please, Decimus. He's an old friend, and it hurts me to see him down there... the same place where you kept me for these past months."

He frowned in contemplation, but didn't speak.