Chapter 40: Another Attempt

"Congratulations seem to be in order."

Maximus slithered through the growing crowd around us with ease, silencing the jabbering Lords and Ladies with his voice. Empress Aryanna followed slowly, knowing that she too had to keep up appearances and join her husband in congratulating the happy couple. The crowd began to dissipate to give us some privacy.

"Thank you, father." Decimus nodded gleefully. It seemed that even their noxious relationship couldn't put a damper on the Prince's spirits in this moment.

The Empress pulled me into a hug so she could whisper in my ear, "Remember what I said, Candra. You will not marry my son." She pulled back with a fake smile.

I nodded to make it seem like I was thanking her for the well-wishes, but I was really confirming our understanding.

"Your wedding will be in just under four weeks." The Emperor states.

"Yes, the end of the month... as previously discussed." Decimus confirms.

"Time seems to be slipping away faster than anticipated, don't you think?"

"On the contrary, it couldn't be moving any slower. I've waited eight years to be reunited with my beloved so we can marry." Decimus squeezed my hand, brushing his thumb over the engagement ring on my finger. I smiled reassuringly, squeezing his hand back. "Three more weeks seems like a lifetime."

"Well, let's hope that she even survives that long."

"Excuse me?" Decimus asked his father, surprised and disgusted by his comment.

He waved it off. "I only meant that she seems to have such terrible luck when it comes to royal engagements."

"You won't kill her as you did her father." Decimus threatened, taking a protective step in front of me.

"Don't be silly, boy! I would never kill the girl. But that doesn't mean someone else won't. Tell me, Candra, have there been any further attempts on your life?"

"Not since the day we hosted the Ladies of Romallia." I confirmed with a frown, not liking what he was implying.

"Give it time. Though I'm sure you're little band of men will be up to the task." He looked around the room to find Brutus, Arrian and Evander. "Odd choices to have as your protectors... two former gladiators who were tortured for harbouring your secrets, and a former palace guard who was banished for setting you free all those years ago."

"Doesn't that just prove how loyal they are to me?"

"No." His gaze returned to mine with malice. "It only proves how idiotic and ill-qualified they are." Maximus looked to Arlo who is standing behind me. "They make this one look passable, which is only more embarrassing for you."

I secretly reach behind me to stop Arlo's hand, knowing that he was about to reach for his dagger to attack the Emperor. I could feel him shaking with anger and stress, trying to decide if he'll go against my wishes. In the end, he slowly dropped his hand to his side. Without even looking at him, I could tell that he was seething with rage.

Maximus smiled at the effect his words had on Arlo's mood. I breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that Arlo would have been executed if the Emperor saw him reaching for his dagger. Thank goodness for secrecy and quick reflexes.

"I will make it to my wedding day intact, and I plan to live long after that. My men are quite capable of keeping me safe, your Grace."

"We shall see..."

He must have planned this. This isn't a coincidence. This is the Emperor.

These were the thoughts that were immediately running through my head as the overhead skylight shattered with a loud crash and a handful of ropes were unleashed, followed by over two dozen armed men sliding down with the intent to kill.