Chapter 21: Where Happiness Lies

I was in a private room with a physician when Evander came barging in. His eyes found mine instantly, wild with excitement. He couldn't supress the goofy grin that was stretching across his face. I found myself unable to do the same.

He addressed the physician without shifting his gaze. "Could you leave us?"

"I haven't finished patching the boy up-"

"I think I can manage the rest." I grabbed the medicine and cloth from his hands and nodded to reassure him.

"Fine, but make sure you keep those wounds clean."

As soon as the door closed behind him, I tossed the medicine and cloth aside, jumped off the bench and rushed towards Evander. Arms outstretched, he met me halfway with the most charming embrace. He squeezed me tight around my waist, lifting me up off the floor and spinning me around with elation.

"You did it! You did it, Candra! I knew you would..."

I was too overjoyed to form words, so I just laughed as he continued to spin me.

Before we got too dizzy, Evander stopped his rotations. He carefully lowered me down as I removed my arms from the vice grip around his neck, resting my hands on his shoulders as we settled. My face was mere inches away from his. His expression slowly began to change from excitement to desire. I wasn't sure what he read in my expression, but it was enough to make him gently lean in. For a split second, I was caught up in the moment; I tilted my head in anticipation. His lips were just about to graze mine when I abruptly dropped my hands from his shoulders and took a step back.

"Evander..."

He looked so disappointed, but not entirely defeated.

"I'm sorry, Evander. We just can't."

"Ever?"

I debated the question; one small word loaded with so much potential for hope or heartache. I sighed before muttering, "I don't know yet."

He nodded, "After we get your brother back, the three of us can return to Kent. We can start over."

"Evander..."

"We don't have to pick things up from where we left off. It's up to you to decide if you want to accept my proposal. Either way, we can get you and your brother situated in a new place and just take it easy."

"I don't-"

"Maybe when things calm down a bit, we can try to make this work..." He motioned his hand between us. "You know I'll wait as long as it takes."

"Evander, I don't even know if I want to return to Kent."

He frowned in confusion. "Why not? I thought you'd want to make things as normal as possible?"

"I need to talk to my brother first..."

"But he-"

"Evander..." It was my turn to cut him off, "Gram was the closest thing we ever had to a mother, and she was murdered in Kent."

His face fell. "I know, but you can't let that discourage you. You had far more pleasant memories of her in Kent that could easily outweigh the bad."

"I don't think anything will mend such a significant wound."

"At least let us try."

"Kent is also the place where Marcus was taken. Living in a border town is completely unsafe during wartime! We'll be forever caught in the crossfire."

"I'll protect you." He pleaded.

"And as soon as Marcus is revealed in the arena tomorrow, all of Romallia will know what he looks like. It was easier to hide in the Empire when the people only remembered us as children, but to see his appearance as an adult will ruin him."