Chapter Thirteen

"Miss, can you please stand still for just a few more minutes? We're almost done getting you ready."

"I'm sorry, Alice. I'm just really nervous for tonight."

"There's nothing to be nervous about, miss. Yes, it's your first time on the Report, but you don't have to say anything tonight. You just have to sit there and look beautiful for the camera. Which won't be hard because you always look beautiful," Sophie says, and I give them a small smile.

"Thank you. That makes me a feel a little bit better," I say. "I'm just not that good in front of crowds."

"We understand. But you don't have to worry about anything tonight."

I just nod my head as they make last minute adjustments to my hair and dress. Tonight, I am dressed up so much more extravagant than I usually am for a regular day around the palace since I'm going to be on camera and displayed on TVs all across Illea. I look at myself in the mirror as my maids pin a few places in my dress and marvel at how gorgeous it is. It's a dark blue dress with an off-the-shoulder lace detailing and a shimmer of sparkles that flows down the dress. It's breathtaking, but I can't help but think that it doesn't look right on me. It doesn't feel like the girl in the mirror is actually me.

They finish pinning my hair up into an elegant updo and add a couple of extra touches to my makeup for the camera. Once they're completely done, they step back and marvel at the work they've done.

"What do you think, miss?" Mya asks. "Do you like it?"

"I love it. It is beautiful. Way too beautiful for a girl like me."

"Now, now. Don't go talking yourself down. A dress like this is made for a beautiful girl, and that is exactly what you are" Alice says, and I smile at her. "Now, you better get out there. You don't want to be late for your first Report."

"Of course not. Thank you for all of this."

"It's no problem, miss."

I take one last glance at myself in the mirror before taking a deep breath and walking out of my room. I find a couple of the other girls already out in the hallway with Evelynn. When I spot Addison, I head over to her, and she lights up with a smile when she sees me.

"Wren! You look stunning!"

"Me? Addison, that shade of pink suits you so well!"

"Aww, thank you! So, are you excited for tonight?" she asks.

"I'm actually a little nervous."

"Oh, don't worry, Wren. We don't have to actually say anything tonight."

"I know. It's just. . . I don't do that well in front of crowds."

"Well, I will be sitting right beside you, so if you get too nervous, I'll be there to help you through it."

"Really?"

"Of course!" she exclaims. "That's what friends are for!"

"Okay, girls," Evelynn says, cutting off all of the conversations happening between us girls, "it's time to head down. Remember to keep voices down at a respectable level when entering."

She shoots a look at Addison who is too busy practically bouncing in her shoes to notice it. We all follow Evelynn downstairs and into the area where all of the Reports are filmed. There are important men running all around the room, trying to get last minute problems fixed before the cameras start rolling. Gale Alloy, who always hosts all of the Reports, walks up to us, and all of the girls straighten their shoulders and put on their brightest smiles.