Chapter Twenty

"Are you sure, Mom?"

"Yes, honey, I'm sure."

"Because if you're not, I'm sure if I beg Cameron enough, he'll let me come home, even if it is just for a day, to be there with you," I say.

"Wren, honey, I promise you I'm fine," she replies. "The doctors that Prince Cameron sent had all the right equipment to help. And they said they're not leaving until they are 100% sure that I am completely okay to return to normal life. And even though I'd love to have you home and see my little girl again, you belong at the palace right now."

"But I miss you, Mom."

"I miss you too, sweetie. But I will be fine here, and before you know it, you'll get to see me. So just keep writing those letters and try to convince that prince to give you more phone calls home."

"I think I can do that. So you're not in pain?"

"Not in the slightest. The doctors are giving me the best medicine possible."

"And they're absolutely sure there's going to be no paralysis?"

"Absolutely none. I'm going to recover. I might even be stronger after all of this is over."

"Of course you will be. Because you're Mom. You're the strongest person I know."

"Thank you, sweetie. But you know, you're just as strong as me. If not stronger."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are. You've been through a lot, Wren. A lot that I will never be able to understand or fully help you through. But you've managed to get through it by yourself. How are you doing with it by the way? Has it gotten better since being there?" she asks.

"It has, actually. The whole thing doesn't consume me or worry me or hurt me quite like it used to. And Cameron is a big reason for that."

"You told him about it?"

"Not fully. I didn't tell him any of the details or anything, but he does know that I went through something traumatic last year that revolved around a guy. And he respects the boundaries that I've created because of all that," I explain.

"You really like him, don't you?"

I can't help but smile.

"Yeah, Mom. I really do."

"And he's treating you right?"

"Yes. He treats me like a princess. He treats me how Dad treats you."

"Then what's wrong?"

"What do you mean? Why would you think something's wrong?"

"Wren," she says. "I'm your mother. I can always tell when something's wrong. Even when you are thousands of miles away."

"Nothing's wrong with Cameron. He. . . Well, he's as close to perfection as anyone could get. It's just that if Cameron and I work out, I won't just be getting a husband. I'll be getting a crown. And the possibility of becoming Queen is a lot harder to process than the possibility of falling for him."

"I understand how that can be scary. You grew up as a Five. You're used to just being background noise. And as Queen, you would be one half of the face of the country. You would be forever in the spotlight which you never loved. But. If any of my girls have the heart for it, for being Queen, it would be you. You have always put others ahead of yourself. You have always looked out for the ones who had even less than you. You would rule this country beautifully. And I'm not just saying all of this because I'm your mom. I truly believe it. And you should it too."