Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Here's the phone, Lady Wren," Evelynn says as she hands the phone to me. "And I saved you for last since I know you have such a big family, so take all the time you need."

I give her a smile.

"Thank you, Evelynn. I'll try not to keep you waiting too long," I say.

"Don't worry about that, dear."

She walks back out into the hallway, and I shut the door after her. Once she's gone, I quickly dial our number and impatiently wait for my family to answer. As soon as I hear Ryker's voice on the other end, I can't keep the smile off of my face.

"Would this be the one and only Wren Willow who has been absent from this household for way too long?" he jokingly asks, and I playfully roll my eyes.

"It would be."

"Good. Because it's been too long since we've talked to her. How's she doing by the way?"

"You're an idiot, you know that, right?" I say, and he laughs a little.

"What more do you expect from your older brother?"

"Absolutely nothing."

He laughs again.

"Well, let me get in my Wren time before the rest of the family figures out who I'm talking to," he says.

"I'm just too popular now, aren't I?"

"You could say that. Considering that you're going to be Queen soon, I think I can safely say that you are the favorite child now."

"Oh, shut up," I say with a little laugh. "So what's new with you? Any prospects in the love department?"

"Actually. . ."

"Wait, no, you're actually kidding." When he doesn't say anything, I squeal. "No way, Ryker! Have you seriously found someone?! Who is she?! What's she like?! Are we possibly going to have three weddings in this family soon?!"

"Woah, woah, woah, slow your horses, okay," he tells me. "I can only answer one question at a time."

"Then answer them."

"Okay, I will. So I might have found someone. Nothing is really serious yet because we're still getting to know each other, so no, do not be expecting another proposal anytime soon. I think two weddings is enough for this family right now. But so far, I really like her, and she is funny, charming, sweet, intelligent. And I think that you will absolutely love her."

"I think I love her already. She must really be something special to turn your head, Mr. Unromantic."

"Yeah, yeah. Get your jokes in now. Just don't embarrass me when you finally meet her."

"Oh, because you totally didn't try to embarrass me when you met Cameron."

"Oh, please. Nothing could get in the way of that guy's feelings for you."

I can't help but smile at that.

"Yeah. I know."

"Ryker," I hear Mom say in the background. "Who's on the phone?"

"Oh, it's just your precious sweet daughter who's been living in the palace for the last couple of months," he says, and I can quickly hear the commotion start up.

"Then give me the phone," she tells him, and he playfully sighs.

"I guess this is goodbye for now, Wren."

"Talk to you later, Ryker."

The phone is passed off, and Mom's voice comes through the speaker.

"Hey, sweetie."