Chapter Twenty-Seven

"It is SO good to have you back," Addison says as we walk to the Women's Room after breakfast, and I smile at her.

"It's good to be back. It was getting lonely being in that room by myself."

"Why didn't you let anyone in? Because I TOTALLY would have kept you company."

"I don't know. I was just feeling so crappy that I felt like I wouldn't have been able to talk to anyone." I stop right before we walk into the Women's Room. "And if I'm being honest, I was also dealing with some other things."

"Really? Like what?"

"Well, I don't really want to get into right now. And especially not here. But the short answer is that what Stella did to me triggered some memories of something really bad that happened to me about a year ago. So I was dealing with some past hurt along with the present hurt from her very powerful hits," I explain, and she places her hand on my arm.

"I understand. And don't feel pressured to tell me. You don't have to."

"Thanks."

We walk into the room and find an empty corner to sit at to continue talking.

"So how are you doing now with all the pain? The past and present?" she asks.

"Well, the physical pain is almost completely gone. The medicine that the nurses gave me has worked wonders. And the past pain. . . well, it's still there. I'm still dealing with it. But I'm almost at the place where I can accept that it happened to me, and that it's in the past, and that that one night doesn't define me. I can still live my life as the Wren I want to be and not the Wren that HE wanted me to be or thought I was."

She smiles.

"You know, that is amazing to hear from you."

"Why?"

"Ever since we got here, you've doubted yourself. You didn't have to tell me anything for me to know that something in your past was holding you back to reach your full potential. But hearing you say that makes me realize just how far you've come in these few short months. You're finally realizing who you are, and it's amazing to see you blossom into that. I'm proud of you, Wren."

"And you know what? For the first time, I think that I can say that I'm proud of myself," I say with a smile. "Sure, I've still got a way to go, but I'm getting there. I'm making progress. And that's what's important."

"Couldn't have said it better myself. Looks like you don't need me anymore," she says as she pretends to wipe away a tear, and I let out a little laugh.

"I will always need you, Addi."

"Good. Because you're my best friend, and no matter where either of us end up after this whole thing is over, I'm not letting us lose touch. We are going to stay best friends wherever life takes us. Deal?"

I nod my head.

"Deal."

Addison looks around at the other girls who are chatting with each other. When I notice them glancing over at us, I sigh.

"Let me guess," I say. "I've been the topic of conversation since the whole Stella thing happened?"

"Yeah. You're kind of all anyone's talked about these past few days."

"Great. So what is it this time?"

"Well," she starts. "Everyone's taking sides on who they believe: you or Stella. Now, all of the girls agree that Stella was insane for attacking you, but a couple of them do believe some of the things that she was saying about you."