Chapter Five

He came back. 

Why? 

I thought that after what he did, he was gone for good. 

I thought that he wouldn't dare to show his face in Kent again. 

So why did he come back? 

And on all days to do it, he chose the day that was all about me? 

Was it just a coincidence? 

Or was he there to see me? 

He did have that stupid smirk on his face.

What if he came just to make me squirm once last time before I was sent away?

All of these thoughts race through my mind as I am driven to the airport, and the longer I allow them to stay, the more anxious I become. 

No, I can't do this. 

Think about something else, Wren. Anything else. 

I look around at the insides of the car for something to train my thoughts on. It's not the first time that I've been in a car. But this one is definitely nicer than his was. And I'm sure the same thing won't happen in this one that happened in the other one.

Images and memories from the incident start playing through my mind, and I have to shake my head to get them to stop.

You can't think about this, Wren. He can't get to you anymore, and plus, you promised Ryker you wouldn't think about this again.

I have to promise myself I won't go down that horrible path again.

I look out the window at the passing scenery of Kent.

I can't believe I'm actually leaving. And that I'm going to be so far away from my family for who knows how long. But knowing me, I'll probably do something stupid, and the prince will kick me out within the first week. And maybe it's best for all of us for me to be out of it. I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle it all.

After another fifteen minutes, we come to a stop. The woman with me escorts me into the airport and onto the plane to wait for takeoff. Apparently, I'm traveling with three of the other selected girls, and I'm the first one to arrive.

I take a seat to go ahead and get comfortable for my first flight ever and almost instinctively pull out the butterfly necklace I still have in my pocket. I still can't believe Logynn gave this to me. She's never even let me touch it before, so this truly is a big deal.

It's nothing big or fancy; it's just a small silver butterfly charm on a thin silver chain. But it's Logynn's most prized possession, the nicest piece of jewelry we could ever afford. It means so much to her, and now, it means so much to me. I know that this necklace will be something I cling onto every day.

I quickly put it in my pocket as I hear footsteps approaching and stand up to face two of the selected and their escorts. They are quickly told the situation about our flight and then look at me.

"Hi. I'm Wren," I say as I hold my hand out. The taller one of the two steps forward and shakes my hand with a small smile.

"I'm Elizabeth. It's nice to meet you."

As she steps past me, I take a minute to study her. She's tall with caramel hair and pale skin. Her hair is pulled into a neat updo, and she walks with perfect posture. She already seems like she would make a better princess than I ever would.

I turn back to look at the second girl that arrived and see that she's still looking around the plane. She finally looks at me, and I can pretty much see the excitement radiating off of her. She runs over and grabs my arms.