Chapter Fifteen

"Wren, you've got this," Addison says while holding my hands. "All you have to do is answer a few questions. Nothing to it."

"Yeah, you're right. It'll be easy."

I glance over at the cameras, and my nerves rise back up.

"Nope. You're wrong. I can't do this," I say.

"Of course you can. Just don't think about the thousands of people that will be watching you on their television screens."

"Not helping, Addi."

"Sorry. But seriously. There's nothing to worry about. I'm sure all Gale's going to ask is a couple of get-to-know-you questions, and before you know it, you'll be sitting back in your seat."

"I don't know. I - I don't think I can do it. . . I feel like I'm going to throw up."

I place my hand on my stomach and lean over some.

"Do I need to get somebody?" she asks, and I shake my head.

"No, I'll be fine. Just give me a minute."

I'm still hunched over in that position when I feel a hand on my back.

"Wren, are you okay?"

I look up to find Cameron next to me, looking down at me with worry.

"Oh, yeah. I'm fine. Just a little nervous about having to speak in front of the whole country," I tell him, and he slightly rubs my back.

"There's nothing to worry about. You'll do great."

"That's what everyone says. But I know myself. I don't do well in front of big crowds. I'm going to either freeze up or say something so stupid that the whole country will hate me."

Cameron looks over at Addison.

"Could you give us a minute?" he asks her, and she nods with a smile.

"Of course."

She walks over to the rest of the girls that are getting last minute touch-ups done to their hair and makeup before the Report.

"Wren. I know this whole thing can be nerve-wracking. Trust me. I didn't get used to it for a couple of years. But I know that you're capable of doing this."

"How do you know?"

He takes my hand and pulls me to where I'm standing up straight.

"Because you're strong. I don't have to know the details about what you went through in the past to know that you're strong. Just you standing here on the other side of whatever happened is enough proof of it," he explains, and I sigh.

"I still don't know."

"Do you remember the day you came to the palace?" he asks, and I nod my head. "How you walked through that crowd of people cheering your name? And instead of being nervous, what did you do? You talked to them, greeted them, connected with them, all while having the biggest smile on your face. This is the same as that. Just be yourself. Show the country the girl that I get to see every day. Do that, and I promise they will love you."

"I guess you make a good point," I say, and he smiles.

"Oh, you guess?"

"Thanks, Cam."

"It's my pleasure. And hey, if none of that works, and you still feel nervous when you get up there, just pretend like you're talking to me. Because I know how much you LOVE talking to me."

I gently hit his shoulder.

"Oh, please. I told you ONCE that I enjoyed talking to you. Don't let it get to your head."