Chapter Eighteen

"Addison, I've already told you everything that happened."

"I know, but if you haven't noticed, my love life is lacking, and I am trying to live through you."

"I get that. But I've told you all the details several times over the past few days," I tell her. "Plus, we're not in the privacy of one of our rooms. Any of the girls could walk around the corner and hear everything I tell you."

"So what? If a guy like Cameron was in love with me, I would want everyone to know."

"One, he's not in love with me. And two, the girls are just going to make it harder on me if they find out. Especially London. So let's please keep all talk of it in our rooms."

"Okay, I get it. Not another word."

We continue walking down the hallway to the Women's Room.

"Wren!"

I turn around to see Cameron jogging up to us, and I can't help but smile just at the sight of him.

"Hey, Cam."

He gives me a smile.

"How has your morning been?" he asks as he takes my hand.

"Pretty good so far. We were just headed to the Women's Room. Your mother's having tea with all of the girls."

"I bet that'll be wonderful. You know, she's really enjoyed having all of you girls here. She always wanted a daughter, so she's pretty excited that she'll be getting one when this whole Selection thing is over." I look down at the ground, and he's quick to lift my head up with his finger. "Hey. Don't start thinking about the future and stressing yourself out. We're taking this whole thing one step at a time, right?"

"Right. Sorry."

"There's nothing to be sorry for."

"Well, we probably should get going. The rest of the girls are probably already in there," I say.

"Of course. There's just one thing I wanted to tell you."

"Go on."

"I, unfortunately, can't make it for our walk through the gardens later. A last-minute meeting has popped up, and there is literally no way for me to get out of it. Trust me, I've tried. I'm really sorry to have to cancel, but - "

"Cam, it's okay. You have a country to run."

"Well, a country to learn how to run," he says, and I playfully roll my eyes.

"Either way, it's important for you to be there. I understand."

He smiles.

"Raincheck?"

"Of course."

"Great. I'll see you later, Wren."

He glances all around us to make sure nobody else is around before leaning in and placing a kiss on my cheek. He gives me one more smile before turning around and running off. I turn back to Addison who's smiling at me like a mad man.

"You two are literally the cutest."

"Yeah, yeah. Come on. The Queen is waiting for us."

We link arms and walk to the Women's Room. When we enter the room, we see tables set up everywhere with tea and pastries laid out on each one. Half of the girls are sitting at them while the other half are walking around, mingling with each other. Queen Kimberley is standing towards the back of the room, watching everyone with a smile. When she makes eye contact with me, she lifts her hand and motions for me to come to her.