Thirty-four

_________

● please don't forget to vote - much love to you 🤍 ●

_________

Lexi's POV

Cramped under this desk, I desperately wait for Draco's return and react to everything that is happening with a shaky body and the worst thoughts in my head. The library is at the end of the corridor, overlooking the entrance to Malfoy Manor. One of the windows is slightly open and an almost freezing wind breaks in, making my body shiver, though it also means that I can hear everything.

Suddenly it starts to scream and flash, magical lightning rising into the sky. The loud crashing and cracking of the walls and floors being hit by various spells can be heard all the way into the library. It is pure horror for me to sit here alone while others give their lives for me. I quickly cover my ears with my hands and automatically start bobbing, which always helped me as a small child when my parents were arguing.

I have always been exposed to the miserable screaming and wildly flying spells, for me this situation is by no means a new one - however, my fear is only a hundred percent greater now, because there are people fighting down there whom I have really taken to my heart and who may now die because of me. My thoughts wander in the darkest directions without my being able to control them.

A loud bang suddenly resounds through all the corridors and rooms, shortly before everything falls silent afterwards. Panicked and as quietly as possible, I creep carefully out from under the desk, though my head keeps telling me 'don't you dare'. Plagued by my fear that something might have happened to Draco and his parents, I hold onto my shaky and unsteady legs to walk towards the windows. Just before the window, I take a large step towards the wall next to the window. I look down with my back pressed against the wall, but I see nothing. Absolutely nothing, as if nothing had ever happened. And then I see a woman, black short hair walking backwards up the driveway to look up. I quickly hide my head next to the window again, but I guess it was too late, because immediately a spell flew through the window and made me fall to the ground.

Shit, shit, shit! My fucking curiosity.

Before I could even get up, I felt a hand on mine and prayed fervently that it was Draco's. But when I look up, I'm not looking into the eyes I expected. No, I'm looking into his mother's eyes and I really thought I saw Draco in them for a brief moment. For a tiny moment I really thought he was coming to my rescue.

"You need to get up and come with me right now, we don't have time to waste." she says in a panic and despite all the panic I can see her care and composure in her voice. I nod in reply and immediately she pulls me crouched and hastily behind her as more spells rush in through the windows but only hit the bookshelves.

We are still running crouched through the library - everything around us erupts in complete chaos as we finally arrive at the door to the corridor and run through it to the back balcony. Narcissa opens the door and with a millisecond we apparate.

But before I've really realised that she's taking me away from here, my thoughts immediately drift to Draco. I don't want to leave him here alone - I want to stand by his side and give him the back cover he needs. What if something happens to him?

Narcissa apparated us to a huge field with a path going right through the middle of it. All around us were fields, blue skies and the summer sun shining on our skin. Far and wide there was nothing and no one to be seen, just us here walking hastily down the dirt road.