Twenty-four

I dedicate this chapter to my beloved Krissy for unintentional and inspiring ideas for the following chapter.
Much love to you. 🤍

_________

● please don't forget to vote - much love to you ●

_________

Lexi's POV

We arrived back at the cabin in the woods near the lake and I knew damn well it wasn't a good idea to apparate.

I feel barely able to stand, let alone hold my head up. I slump immediately when I feel solid ground under my feet again. What was Theo thinking anyway?

"Shit, I got you. Try to hold on to my neck."
Theo immediately notices me collapse and catches me, he puts one arm and my knees and one arm under my arms and carries me into the house that way.

I try to put my arms around his neck to get more hold, but in vain. I am too weak to gain this strength. I have never felt so weak.
Theo carries me inside, very carefully, very different from the Theo he was before we left the hospital. This time tender, supportive, mindful and genuinely concerned.
As if he had changed his character on the journey here.

He gently lowers me down on one of the sofas and kneels beside me as he gently brushes my hair out of my face.

"I'm so incredibly sorry, Lexi. But we had to get out of there. You'll understand someday." I hear him say hazily before he gets up and disappears.

Some time later he comes back, kneels down on the floor next to me again. He puts his hand under my head and lifts it a little, gently and I feel him hold something against my muff.

"Here darling, this will help with your pain." he says and tips something thick into my mouth.

It hits so fast that after about two minutes I drift into a deep sleep. I can only feel Theo tenderly covering me and kissing my forehead.

I am so incredibly happy to have him.

What felt like 2 minutes must have been several hours, because when I open my eyes it is already dark. I don't move for fear of the pain.

I move my head left and right, everything is quiet and dark - only the flickering of the fire in the fireplace can be heard and the shadows of the fire on the ceiling can be seen.

Suddenly a nerve in my shoulder twitches and I really thought I would scream out loud in pain, but there is nothing. I move more and prop myself up on my elbows to look over the back of the sofa with my upper body and head.

I can see through the glass of the kitchen door that Theo is standing in the kitchen, leaning against a kitchen cupboard facing out and holding what looks to me like whiskey in a glass.

I sit up. I notice that I am in a minimum of pain and I put my arm on the backrest, rest my head on it at an angle and watch him. I watch him as he watches nature. How he absorbs all the nocturnal impressions of the forest.

Without noticing, butterflies fly through my stomach and a tiny smile settles in the corner of my mouth. Seeing him standing there fills me with peace, with security. I look at him like a little girl getting a giant stuffed animal for the first time.

Before I realise it, he looks at me and sets his glass aside. I drop straight back onto the sofa, hoping he hasn't noticed. I pull the blanket up to my nose and hear Theo open the door.

I see two hands gripping the back of the sofa and a head popping up right above mine. Our gazes are now firmly anchored in each other.

"I see you're feeling better, my little stalker?" he asks with one of his cute grins on his face.