22: A MOMENT OF REST

"I remember feeling at peace that night, and when I woke up, there was a glowing vision in my hand." Kazuha finished his story with a smile. He sighed deeply as he gazed at your weak figure. He looked at you lovingly before holding your hand, rubbing his thumb against yours before standing up to leave.

"Good night, Y/N. See you tomorrow."

"Mmm..." You hummed back.

As they say, years of suffering make you a whole lot tougher. After the CPR given to you by Kazuha, your consciousness came back. Though, you barely hung on. Immediately after you woke up, you were extremely weak and couldn't move. Your head injury was severe and your lungs barely had any air in them. The fact that you survived was nothing short of a miracle.

You were immediately rushed to Huixing who knew how to properly handle the situation. Despite everyone's panicked disposition, she calmly told everyone to leave the room. Huixing did her best trying to patch up your wound and sew your head back together. A surgeon onboard truly helped, as with her skills, you were able to live another day. If she wasn't there, you most likely wouldn't have survived.

Unfortunately, you'll be unable to talk for a few days and will be needing a wheelchair. Your head injury affected your nerves and limbs, making you unable to walk.

You didn't mind as much as you thought you would.

Then again, after such a close encounter with death, you couldn't complain about anything. It was terrifying being in those moments where everything was uncertain. It gave you a deeper appreciation for life and everything given to you.

Kazuha, for the two days you were doing nothing but sleep, accompanied you. Beidou allowed him to stay with you for as long as he liked. She knew just how much you meant to each other. Although she wanted to tease a bit, she knew better than to do so. She also allowed you and him to skip your duties until you fully recovered, which you were thankful for.

He fed you, told you stories, and always stayed by your side. He made sure you felt comfortable and cared for.

Now at the present, you were finally able to make sounds and little gestures with your arms.

After the hum you gave, Kazuha felt the need to hold your hand one last time.

"Just call me when you need me. You know I can always hear you."

You stared at Kazuha, feeling his caring gaze examine you. Your heart raced as you looked away, nodding profusely. He couldn't help but giggle at your shy reaction. It was fun seeing you like this. Unable to hit him playfully and verbally, you were left with facial expressions. He thought it to be funny whenever your eyes widened when you were shocked or how your eyes smiled when the food was delicious. He enjoyed seeing you happy, even if it meant having that big scare from three days ago.

On the other hand, you were quite annoyed. You liked the friendly banter you shared but were now left with no words coming out of your mouth. You couldn't deny it, though. You couldn't deny that you liked being taken care of. Usually, you'd hate it. You'd rather go through hell again rather than have anyone do that. Yet, something about the way he cared for you, you couldn't deny it felt nice.

As Kazuha left your room, you sat up motionless. Your mind wandered as you tried thinking of a reason why you felt like this. Why did you feel like this for him?

You weren't foolish, you sort of knew this was a crush. Yui and years of observing others didn't make you clueless on such a matter. Yet you couldn't figure out why he was so endearing to you.

Was it his appearance? His voice? The way he holds your hand? How he always knows how to make you feel better? How he trust you? How he makes sure you're okay?

Maybe it was all of the above. You wouldn't object to the idea.

Your face scrunched up in frustration.

When did this feeling start to come? Was it at your first dance? It was quite romantic then. Or maybe it just grew over time because of how he acted towards you. Could he perhaps like you back? It wasn't a secret that he treated you differently from the others. It wouldn't be a surprise if he did. Would you go for it if he did? Or just let it be as it isn't what you both are looking for as of now?

All these thoughts, all these questions, they all bubbled up in your mind. You felt like a child, feeling excitement just thinking about tomorrow. You wondered if Yui would laugh at you for this stupid crush you had for your best friend. She'd give you advice based on the books she read despite not having the experience.

It was funny, honestly.

How far have you come? From a bandit to an emotionless runaway, and now... You know your former self would laugh for having such thoughts about someone.

You were glad, for the first time in your life, that you were still alive. Despite convincing yourself you were ready, you knew you were not. You felt happy that you still got to live on, see your friends, and see Kazuha.

I thought my dear readers deserved a soft little chapter after the stress I've put you guys in hee hee <3 Don't worry, no death scares anymore, and expect more soft chapters hoho!!

I also made a Spotify playlist for this book! Just search "eye of the storm" on Spotify and you'll see a Kazuha playlist :) I really like the song "Just You" cause it fits Y/N quite well hehe. Enjoy if you do check it out!!