Chapter Twenty Six

"That's an outfit I haven't seen in a while." Sam remarked after Brianna came out of their bedroom dressed in her old Avenger's uniform.

She ran her hands over the comfortable material, stopping at the worn 'A' on the sleeve. "Yeah. For some reason I wanted to wear it."

"You okay?" Sam asked, noting the way her voice changed.

"It's just...a lot of memories wearing this. Maybe I should change it. I don't want to be-"

Sam stopped her by gently squeezing her hand. "Hey, you look good. You got everything you need?"

Brianna looked down at the small bag in her hand that contained her bow and arrows as well as a few other weapons. She nodded her head and they began to head to the Air Force base to board their flight to Egypt. The United Nations had uncovered a plan by the mercenary, Georges Batroc, who had ties to the LAF, to capture a US Air Force plane. No one was sure why he wanted his hands on the plane. Perhaps it was to cause chaos? Or maybe he wanted other weapons aboard?

It didn't matter. They just had to get to him before Batroc was successful. If he did manage to get ahold of the plane and fly it into the Libyan airspace, the US could do nothing. They didn't have jurisdiction in that area. Brianna and Sam would break up into two different areas. Sam would obviously be up in the air in his Falcon uniform. Brianna would stay on the ground and offer support if needed with Torres. She just hoped they got there in time.

It was sunny and blazing hot as they landed just outside of Tunisia. Dry air whipped all around of them causing small particles of sand to hit their skin. She understood why the soldiers that occupied the land at times wore so much covering. She was issued a standard military bulletproof vest as well as a helmet that only made the heat more unbearable. Just as she began to unpack her bow and arrows, a second plane landed that was escort to Sam into the air.

Brianna watched as Sam waved at the pilot to give him one minute before he jogged over to her. She wouldn't admit it out loud, but she absolutely loved the way he looked in his uniform. The way it seemed to hug every muscle on his body. In a way, it almost made him look bulkier; especially in the shoulders.

"You're staring." Sam teased her.

"Can't help it. My boyfriend is kind of hot." She said with a grin.

"Kind of?" He asked almost offended. He wrapped a gloved hand around her waist, his thumb rubbed the soft fabric of her own uniform. "Keep your eyes open down there. I may need you if things go South."

"I always do. I hate that I can't help you more up in the air." She admitted.

"We could you your own wings."

Brianna scoffed. "Nope. In fact, I think I actually like the ground. Be careful, Falcon. Okay?"

"Falcon? Damn that sounds good coming out of your pretty little mouth." He leaned down to kiss her.

She giggled and hit his chest. "Go. We have work to do."

Brianna watched him go with a smile before joining Torres in one of the three humvees. When she got in she unfolded her bow and slipped her arrow holder around her body. She only looked up when they started moving. When she though, she noticed Torres staring at her.

"Can I help you, Torres?" She asked curiously.

"Sam and you...are you..." he didn't finish his sentence.

"Dating? Yes." She answered.

"Okay. Cool." He played it off before settling into his own seat.

The sun seemed to intensify the further into the desert they got. She knew she was sweating buckets under all the equipment she was wearing. However, she wasn't going to take it off. She had been shot once and didn't want to experience that again. She stole a pair of binoculars from one of the other Airmen so she could pay attention to the sky above her. In the distance she spotted the plane Sam was on. In the other direction was the plane that belonged to the Air Force.