Chapter 29

Smut warning

"Merry Christmas Steve." I said as I sat on the bed.

He gave me a look and set down his book.

"Christmas is tomorrow love." He said. I smiled at him and put the box in his lap.

"Just open it." I said.

"You didn't have to get me anything. I really don't need anything- umm. You open it." He said. He handed me the box back but I stared at him.

"Steve have you never gotten a present or something?" I asked and put the box back in his lap. He played with the bow and I watched his hands shake.

"Steve...."

"Not since my parents-" he said quietly. He toyed with the wrapping paper.

"Hey. No I won't have you open it if you don't want it." I said.

"No I want it. I want to open it. You're my wife and you bought me a gift so I'll open it." He said. I nodded softly.

He opened the box slowly.

"Y/n no I can't accept this." He said and looked at me.

"Will you stop? Here. Let me help you put it on." I said.

It was a brand new watch. It was actually one that Tony had that he gave to me, fresh in the box. I never took it out though. I couldn't.

I knew it was meant for Steve. Somehow I knew. It was dark blue and had silver accents. It looked like it was hand crafted for Steve.

"Hey l/n. Give this to your soulmate one day. Or someone that you think it would be perfect for. I'm not humble enough to."

He never told me that Steve was my soulmate. But whenever we talked he would give me an eyebrow raise, like he knew.

I put the watch on Steve's wrist. He looked at the box and saw TS written in the box.

"Y/n this wasn't meant for me...." He said as he let his hand run over the velvet.

"Yes it was." I said softly.

He looked up at me and found a little opening in the box. I didn't even know it was there.

Steve pulled out a note. I looked at it with wide eyes.

"I didn't put that there Steve." I whispered.

He opened up the letter. He stayed silent as he looked over it.

He looked away then, his chin quivering lightly.

"Can you read it?" He whispered. I nodded and grabbed the paper.

I cleared my throat.

"Steve. I hope that y/n cracked my code and figured out that I wanted to give this to you. I also knew that you would be the only one to see that little slit in the velvet. Anyways.

I wanted to thank you for being there. You knew my father. You helped him to become what he was when I was a child. With his success. I might act like a total dick to you, I know language, but I want you to know that I truly care. I care about you. And yes a watch is stupid. I should've gotten you something better. You're a hundred. Come on. But thank you. Thank you for making my life a little better. You changed my life for the better.

Tony stark." I read.

Steve looked at the watch.

"I miss him." Steve whispered. "I miss him and Nat and the many others I lost but we started out as six avengers. And then you were the seventh and I wouldn't have met you if it wasn't for him. He loved you. Like a daughter y/n he loved you so much." Steve whispered.