Over

The next day.
I hurt someone I cared about and loved. Just when things started to become good again after the coma, everything came crumbling down again.

I knew falling in love was a mistake, especially with the lifestyle I live. And now I have a baby on the way and Xavier wants to play no part in the baby's life or my life. This is all my fault.

I should've stopped dating Xavier the second I found out I killed his father but I chose to be selfish.
I've been blowing up his phone for the past 24 hours but he's not answering or responding to my messages. I can't even blame him.

Was this life even worth it? I mean, sure, I'm providing for a multitude of people in both legal and illegal ways, but at what cost?

Sure, it feels good to be untouchable, unstoppable, to revel in the sensation of being the most powerful person in the world, running the largest mob. Yet, I find myself pondering if it's all worth it. I don't even have any friends, and the one time I choose to fall in love, it goes terribly wrong.

I've always told myself I never needed friends in this lifestyle; friends were just another attachment waiting to be severed in this unforgiving world. But now, I feel the absence of someone to confide in, apart from David and Samuel. Love, or at least the love I experienced with Xavier, seems to have tainted my perspective, making me crave companionship.

"Medusa, you haven't said a word since you arrived, are you okay?" Priscilla asked, her soul food plated before me.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just lost in thought. Thank you for the food," I replied, snapping out of my reverie. I'd had enough of my own musings.

As I began to eat, David entered the room.

"Finish eating in the office," he said sternly, walking past the kitchen and heading into the office. I followed, plate in hand.

"Listen, I know your situation, but I'll be frank," he began, closing the door.

"Go on," I encouraged, knowing David and Samuel had always been forthright with me, offering what I needed to hear, not necessarily what I wanted.

"Alright, Xavier's gone. We don't know if he'll come back or if he'll seek revenge because we killed his dad," he said, his words heavy.

"He won't. I'm carrying his child; he wouldn't harm us," I asserted.

"Alright, but what about after the child is born? We don't even know if he'll be part of the child's life, or if he'll come after you then," David pointed out.

"He can't. He'll want to see his child. If he kills me, he won't have that chance," I reasoned.

"It's not that simple, Medusa. But fine, we won't argue about that right now. What I'm saying is, yes, you're pregnant, but that can't stop you from running the mob. Over the past three months, we've been making more money than ever before, and you know it. We need to maintain this momentum, especially until the Russian shipment is fully delivered. Make your pregnancy appointments, take those vitamins, ensure your health, because you can't let this baby hinder you from running things. Forget about Xavier for now. If he comes back, he will; if not, he won't, alright? You're the last person who should let a man hold you back. We were made for this life, built for it. Since we were kids, we've endured pain and kept moving forward. That's how it has to be, alright?" David concluded.