Apart of The Family

We were back at Cloud Recesses and the ambush would be a few days away now. We handed the Yin Iron to Shufu and Xiongzhang and with them, the four of us destroyed the Yin Iron as well as the sword. The piece that was at Qinghe with Sect Leader Nie, was already destroyed. That leaves the last piece in Wen Ruohan's possession.

"Wait, why did the Wen's ambush Cloud Recesses before?" Wei Ying asked.

"Though they don't need a reason, I believe it was for the Yin Iron, and they took Wangji captive to the indoctrination," Xiongzhang said.

"So they may not come this time?" Wei Ying asked, "the Wens do not know we went for the Yin Iron. They even went to Qinghe too, correct?"

"That is correct," Shufu said, "though they may not, it is best not to let our guard down. I do have a question for you, Wei Wuxian."

"Please ask," Wei Ying said properly.

"For the indoctrination, even though you are still known as the head disciple of Yunmeng, you are now engaged to Wangji. It is up to you if you want to represent Cloud Recesses or Lotus Pier," Shufu said, "but we would like an answer soon."

"I was telling Lan Zhan that Yunmeng doesn't seem like home to me anymore," Wei Ying said, "I already feel more at home here in Gusu. Though there were issues in the past, I am willing to try to cooperate with you."

Shufu grinned, "I do not wish for you to change your character, if you are here or not. I am just happy that you respect our clan's principles and stand with them," he said.

"Of course," Wei Ying said, "so if you would like, I can represent Cloud Recesses, but I am apologizing in advance if I provoke anyone. I will try not to but that urge is there."

I smiled, "if Wen Chao calls for us to recite for them, Wei Ying wants to recite the rules for Cloud Recesses again," I told them.

"I can be punished accordingly if you like, it's just I want to do it. I saw it in empathy and I thought it was funny," Wei Ying said.

"I will not punish you," Shufu said, "I will if he find you got any incorrect."

"That's fair," Wei Ying said, "since I am representing Cloud Recesses, would I have to wear your robes? I would prefer my black robes but I do understand if you want me to wear yours."

"We might be able to make custom robes that are more suitable for you but still representing our clan," Xiongzhang said.

"Really?" Wei Ying asked, "that would be nice of you."

"A'Xian, you are apart of our family now. In the Lan Clan, we rely on one another. You will soon learn more of that. If you haven't already. Lans tend to be very possessive and considerate for family. You are now apart of that," Xiongzhang told him.

Wei Ying nodded, "thank you."

"Oh, Xiongzhang, what kind of books did you give Wei Ying?" I asked.

"For his Dizi, the ones I have studied, why?" He asked.

"Ah, he is curious if you played something that has abilities to cleanse, manipulate, and set souls to rest?" Wei Ying question, "I used it earlier and he had never seen something like that."

"It wasn't resentful, it seemed, spiritual," I told them.

"You studied that far?" Xiongzhang questioned, "you are studying and playing music that most have taken years to learn and perfect. It's more common in deities and immortals, it's that hard."

"Really? It didn't seem to be," Wei Ying said, "the notes are easy to follow."

"You are a prodigy when it comes to music and talismans, but it takes a millennia to give you a lecture," Shufu mumbled.

Wei Ying giggled, "I don't mean to get bored," he said, "I just prefer to let my brain strategize and challenge myself. It's different from sitting and listening."

"I guess that makes more sense. Maybe we can do something about that in the future so you can learn more," Shufu said thoughtfully.

"I can try some things," I insisted, "as I know how his brain works."

"Alright, you will have the library for a few hours a day to work. I'll pass my lectures over to you, Wangji. Let's see if you can get him to learn," Shufu challenged.

Wei Ying laughed, "interesting," he said and looked at my brother, "by the way, before leaving Lotus Pier, my shijie asked me to give you this."

Wei Ying handed him a small purple box with a white ribbon around it, "thank you," Xiongzhang said, "I will have to thank her later."

"Uh huh," we nodded.

Brother opened the box and inside was a Jiang Sect clarity bell personally made for my brother. It had our clan colors and a cloud pattern design.

"Clarity bell, huh?" Wei Ying questions with a smile, "if you are given a clarity bell, you are considered to be someone special, born into the sect or moved into the sect, or family. In other words, it's something handed over to someone special."

I smiled along with Shufu and Wei Ying, "what do you mean someone special?" Brother asked.

"You know, significant others, or partner, or future partner," Wei Ying teased. Xiongzhang put the lid back on the box quickly and blushed. His cheeks were flushed red.

"Someone is something special to someone," I teased him more.

"I can talk to Jiang Fengmian for a courtship if you like?" Shufu offered.

"Seriously?" Brother asked flustered.

"Xichen-ge, when are you going to admit you like her. She already told you how she feels with the bell. It is a love token to you," Wei Ying said, "she has an interest in you."

"Really?" Brother asked calming down a bit, "she is interested? Didn't she just get out of an arranged marriage."

"Which gives you an opportunity to step up," Shufu stated, "I think it's worth a try. If you want to. Come to me if you change your mind or send a letter yourself."

Shufu left us there in Yashi with my brother, "brother, in all seriousness, I think you should court her. If you had not pushed me to be more open to Wei Ying this time around, I may still be wondering if I am doing something right or wrong. It is a feeling no one wants."

"He's right you know, plus it was you who had me room with Lan Zhan when I first arrived. It might have been his suggestion but you supported it. Now it is time for us to support you," Wei Ying told him.

"Has she said she likes me?" He asked.

"Yes and it is also proof through the bell," Wei Ying stated.

He sighed, "I want to think about if for a few days. I really want to be sure I feel that way about her. I don't want to hurt her," Xiongzhang said.

"We can respect that," I said and turned to Wei Ying, "I am going to the cold spring for a while. I am a bit drained. You can join if you want or you can do what you please."

"Do you want to see A'Xian's new workshop first, they finished building it just before you got here," Brother said.

"I will join for that then go to the spring," I said and followed them out.