XVIII

After fleeing from the church scene, we all headed back to the safe house. "Don't we have an event to attend In an hour?", "Let's just stay here for five more minutes, darling" Cal answers. We both laid upright in a tub full of warm water, rose petals, and lavender scent, my head resting against his broad chest with his encasing my stomach.

"What do you expect to find at the masquerade ball?" I question, "Any info that'll lead me to Alistair". "Right. After you take down Alistair, where do we go from there?" I ask, "What do you mean? I will resume my position as the don of The Syndicates. I suspect that after I get rid of The Disciples, they'll be more threats to my reputation."

"Yeah. I'm gonna go get ready" I get out of the tub and swaddled my body in a towel, "Yelena?" I turn and met Cal's gaze. "Do you have any thoughts you'd like to share since we're on the topic?", "No, I was just curious" I reply. I turn on my heel and walked out of the bathroom before Cal could ask anything else.

I kinda thought that after Alistair and The Disciples, Cal would wanna leave the mafia behind, for his sake. Well, I hoped.

After patting away the liquid from my skin and hair, I saunter to my closet and took a look at my masquerade dress. It was a High Split Sequin Cami Dress.

"You look magnificent, Yelena", I look up in the mirror and at Cal's reflection, he was wearing a Classic Black Tuxedo

"You look magnificent, Yelena", I look up in the mirror and at Cal's reflection, he was wearing a Classic Black Tuxedo. "Thank you," I said whilst putting in my other earring. "You have something on your mind, do mind sharing it?" He asked, "It's nothing really, just some mere thoughts".

He walks over to the wine cabinet, he soon turned around, revealing two half-full champagne glasses of what seemed to be Rosé. Cal hands me a glass before taking a sip of his, I press my lips against the glass and took a sip of the fresh, fruity liquid. It had a hint of something else that I couldn't make out.

"You feel any better?", I look up at him with a warm wistful smile. "Yes," I answered, "Good, Let's go" Cal takes the glass from my hand and then placed his and mine on the nightstand. He takes hold of my hand and guided me out the door. After a brief walk down the stairs, we walk out the front door and to Cal's car.

We finally arrive outside of a huge building by nightfall. Before exiting the car, Cal and I secure our masks to our faces. We get out of the car and walk onto the red carpet at the entrance, there were a few people who stood behind the rope barriers and took pictures. They probably don't know that half the people here are in the mafia because if they did, they'd be running the other way.

Cal and I walk through the entrance and into the wide spacious room, people were all around the room dancing while others were drinking. "Oh, crap...", "What's wrong?" I ask. "My father's here," he says.

"And that's a problem because?", "He's just gonna come over here and tell me how I'm stupid for bringing you here and for associating you with The Syndicates". "Well, clearly he doesn't know that I can handle myself. Let's go over there and say hi" I suggest, "No, I rather stay far away from him. And you should too. He's heartless and Dangerous" Cal warns.