Part 11

Once Angie stopped crying, we drove her back to her house. Her parents invited us in, and we all just hung out and ate Chinese food. Danny took Angie to the couch to talk for a bit. They looked like they were getting along well. Angie's fangirling had died down, so that was a good thing. Paul and I sat at the counter and asked each other questions while eating noodles with chop sticks. "What's your favorite color?" "Red, hands down." I laughed. We started to talk about our family lives. He told me he has a mom, dad, 5 siblings, and a nephew. "What about your family?" he asked while trying to shove a piece of broccoli in his mouth. "I uh... uhm..." I stuttered. He set down his box and his chopsticks. He looked into my eyes and gave me a look that said "Tell me. You can trust me." I took a sip of water and tried to hold back the tears. I could feel a lump in my throat forming and knew this wouldn't turn out good.

Angie looked over at me from the couch and gave me a thumbs up. She was so happy, I didn't want to ruin it. I tried to smile, but she already knew something was wrong. "What?" she mouthed. I shook my head and turned back to Paul. "When I was 15..." I started. "My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. She started chemo and lost her hair. Then, she stopped eating. I went to see her in the hospital on her last day, and I didn't even recognize her. She was like a skeleton. I talked to her a bit and then... the machine started beeping... and she was just... gone. It's been me and my dad ever since." I finished with a single tear running down my face. "Peri... I don't want to push I shouldn't have asked... I'm so so sorry." He apologized and put his hand on my shoulder. I grabbed it and shoved it away, then put my arms on his chest as he put his arms around me. I started to cry harder into his sweatshirt. Angie and Danny noticed and came over. They both started to hug me and Angie whispered "I knew something was wrong babe" and we all just stood there and hugged.