Part 25

When I awoke, I was in an ambulance. "What's going on? Wh....what happened?" I stuttered, sitting up.  "Whoa easy now." A lady in a paramedic's uniform sat over me. Her eyes were warm and inviting, so I tried to ask some questions. "Can you please tell me what happened?" I whimpered. My whole entire body felt sore, like I had done 500 laps at swimming practice. I looked down and noticed my right leg was in a cast. My arm had some bruises on it and when I went to feel my face, I touched my eye and it started to burn. "Ahhhh" I cried, wondering why it hurt so much. "You saved some people's lives today. You're a real live hero. You sustained some minor injuries while doing it, like a broken leg, some bruises, and honey, your face is a little banged up." The paramedic explained.

Suddenly, images of a girl with an evil smile, Paul and Danny tied up in a closet, Paul's eyes, and me jumping on top of the girl flushed into my brain. I quickly sat up and called for Paul. "Paul? Angie? Danny?" I looked at the lady. "I'll go get them. Don't move." She stood up and hopped off of the truck.  I heard her say "She's asking for you." And then some gasps. I closed my eyes and waited for someone for the nice lady to come back. "Peri?" A girl's face appeared next to me. "Angie?" I tried to say it normally, but it ended up coming out sounding like I had just reached the top of Mount Everest. "Yes yes it's me, I'm here, I'm right here." I felt her smooth touch on my arm. I heard her start to cry, and I put my hand up, trying to find her hand. I grabbed it and interlocked my fingers with hers. "I'm okay An. Don't worry." I said to her. I once again, listened to her sobs. "I'm fine don't worry. I just feel like I was holding 200 pounds on my back for the whole day" I joked. She laughed. "Is she okay? I'm coming in." I heard Angie cry harder and then got off. When I looked back, she was in Danny's arms, holding her.

I opened my eyes wider this time, to see a boy's face in front of me. "Paul" I breathed and took his hand. "I'm so so sorry Peri. It should've been me not you, this is all my fault, I could've avoided all this." He ranted. Then I saw tears streaming down his face. "No don't you dare say that. I don't regret what I did at all. I'd rather look like this and feel like this, then lost you." I struggled to find the right words. I felt him squeeze my hand. "I got so scared. I didn't know what you were doing until you did it. I'm so sorry" he started to cry harder and that made me cry. "Stop crying you wimp" I laughed. Instead of a laugh, it sounded more like a high pitched cough. I noticed Danny sitting down behind Paul. He put his arm around his shoulders. "How's she feelin" he whispered. Paul stood up and walked off the truck. "Did I do something" I asked Danny. "No, he's just... taking it really hard. Listen Peri, I know we haven't been very close, but I can't thank you enough for what you did. You saved my life, all of our lives. I'll never be able to repay you how I should. Thank you so much. You're amazing." Danny said, a single tear falling down his face. "Don't you start crying on me too" I teased. "I'll let you rest." He stood up and joined Paul.