Part 26

I heard the fumbled voices of people nearby. I wondered if my dad knew what had happened. I wondered what happened to Monica. I wondered about a lot of things. The paramedic came back and asked me if I was feeling any better. I told her I was, and I wanted to try and get up. Two police men walked over, picked me up, and lowered me into a wheelchair on the street. We were still in front of the house, police cars flashing, people standing around yellow tape. I turned the chair around and noticed that Danny, Paul, and Angie were all sitting on the curb of the street, with blankets covering their shoulders. They were all whispering about something, and didn't see me when I rolled over to them. "Guys?" I asked, wondering if they had heard me. They all lifted their heads except Paul. Angie stood up and hugged me. "I'm so glad you're okay." She said, pulling away. "I am too." I answered back. I kept looking over at Paul to see if he would look me in the eyes, but no luck. "Paul?" I called. Still didn't look up. "Paul!" I demanded, still nothing. "Paul Josef Zimmer!" I screamed. He finally lifted his head and looked at the wheels of my chair. Everyone at the scene stopped and glanced over at us.

"Look at me!" I yelled. "Am I really that repulsing that you can't even look me in the eye?!" Angie gave me the "Dial it back" look, but I ignored it. "I CANT LOOK YOU IN THE EYE NOT BECAUSE YOU'RE REPULSIVE YOU ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL I HAVE EVER MET BUT BECAUSE EVERY TIME I LOOK AT YOU I AM REMINDED OF THAT I DID THIS TO YOU CAUSED THAT BROKEN LEG AND YOU EVEN COMING TO LOOK FOR ME IN THE FIRST PLACE! ME, NOT DANNY, NOT YOU, ME." He stood up and looked me dead in the eyes. I was shocked. I've never had him yell, even scream at me. "Paul none of this was your fault! Your heart was in the right place, you need to know that! You thought you were making someone's wishes come true. There was no way you could've known she would do this! I came to look for you because I realized you are an amazing guy and I can't lose you! I jumped out of the closet because I couldn't lose any of you! I couldn't have sat there just knowing that something could've happened to all of you! None of this was your fault, you couldn't have stopped me. No one could have!" by now, everyone was glaring at us. I'm glad I said what I said, he needed to hear it. All of it.