Chapter 16: The Day Midgar Stood Still

Once they got on top after speeding upwards to an unstable platform as they landed, Clarice took a look around. There were still people, crying over at a giant pile of broken concrete and metal. Clarice cringed, catching a glimpse of a corpse underneath the rubble.

Barret broke the other three out of their trance, stating that they had two goals. "Two goals! Goal one! Kick some Shinra ass and save the planet! Goal two, save the girl and two idiots- while kicking more Shrina ass- and get out!"

That seemed to put everyone in higher spirits than when they landed. Leave it to Barret to state the obvious in a inspirational way.

"Copy." said Cloud. He released his grip on Clarice waist and begun moving forward. It took the Dragon-Phoenix girl a minute to realize that Cloud had been holding onto her this whole time.

As Barret and Cloud walked ahead, Tifa looped her arm around Clarice's. She probably saw Clarice's face of realization. "You two should probably talk." she giggled.

Heart beating rapidly, Clarice agreed. "I meant what I said when I'm gonna throw a pie right at his face."

She knew they had to at some point. She decided the next chance she gets, she'll pull him aside.

As they continued walking through the collapsed plate of sector 7, Barret warned them to be careful. "Gotta be carful. No tellin' what is going to collapse and when."

Walking through was like a bad dream. She wondered how the others felt, seeing how Clarice felt bad not ever having been to the sector in person other than when the plate was about to fall. She heard a kid ask his mother where his dad went, people asking each other if they were hurt, and so on. The ground shook as large metal scaffolding fell, crushing whatever was left of an already broken building.

 The ground shook as large metal scaffolding fell,  crushing whatever was left of an already broken building

"See what I mean ?" Barret stated.

"We get the picture." Clarice said.

Although shaken, they continued on.

They reached a dead end, a man apart of the neighborhood watch stood there. "Hey, you guys might wanna turn back. "

Tifa shook her head. "Three friend of ours needs help."

The man shook his head. "It's too dangerous."

"For you, maybe." Cloud interjected. Damn,

"Cloud." Clarice scowled under her teeth.

Ignoring the man, Cloud crawled under the fallen structure blocking their path, everyone following after. The man yelled at them to be careful, Clarice giving him an awkward smile. The higher they got, the more monsters they encountered. Clarice felt weary about fighting them, seeing as she was super high up on an unstable platform that could give away at any moment.