Chapter 2 Darkness

"What is this place Tabiki?" Kumiko asked as she looked over to a purple moon hanging over a lake filled with lit lanterns flickering in the darkness.

"This is the crossover, from life, to death." Tabiki points with one of his tails.

"Am I actually dying? What happens to you? Where will you go?" Kumiko tears up a little.

"Don't worry about me, we have to worry about you. You are not going anywhere. You have not finished your story yet."

"What about-"

"Everybody will be fine. Damn you talk too much. This," he points into another direction "The lanterns show memories, past and present. You can view them as you wish."

"Can we see the future?"

"NO!" Exclaimed Tabiki. "That's is too dangerous, everything can crumble, everything can burn. You cannot see the future unless you cross over!"Tabiki Roared.

"That way" He points to a beautiful, blue tree with fireflies buzzing around it. "Is the cross over, as you can see you cannot cross, there is not pathway to get there...yet. Let's hope it stays that way for a little while longer."

She looks over and sees a huge gap between them, noticing a broken bridge and the luminous tree. She could not get over there even if she wanted. "It's so pretty.." she says staring to walk near the edge. Tabiki quickly moves a tail in front of her giving her a warning look. She turns back around to the lantern filled lake.

"Tabiki, who are those people?" She says walking over to the lake standing in front of a lantern.

Tabiki pauses for a minute. "People from your past, some you do not remember, some you do."

She looks around at the different lanterns, from her past memories. Some of her favorite memories. Some, bad memories.

"Look Tabiki! This is our first day of ninja school! That was such a good day! We have come a long way to where we are now."

"Yes, I have to agree."  He replies annoyed.

"Oh! This is where all of us finally got our headbands! You were so proud of me that day."

"Yes, and I still am I can't have a brat like you failing." Tabiki wraps his tail neatly around himself watch Kumiko reminisce on her past.

She looks back on her memories, from her kiss to Iruka, training on the grounds, and the small memories, studying with her friends, going out, and moving into her own apartment.

"This day, this day was the day Iruka and I went on our first date!" She stands there watching herself as her and Iruka walk through a beautiful cherry blossom orchard leading to a crystal clear lake with a tall waterfall. Iruka pushes away a strand of hair behind her ear out of her face and slowly leans in kissing Kumiko. Such a sweet memory and a time where all of her fears went away at that moment. Then the day after, she had word from the Hokage to leave her village, and friends behind for such a long period of time.

She sniffles with a stray tear falling down her cheek. "I miss him.. do you think he still remembers me? Do you think he still cares? Do you think he's mad at me? Do you-."

"I think he will forgive you if you talk to him. It never hurts to talk to him Kumiko." Tabiki cuts her off a little aggravated. 

"I hope I can go back soon.. I miss everyone.." said Kumiko.

She looks at a tiny lantern, watching it. Reveling some memories when she was younger. "This, this is when I was being bullied back in the academy. They made fun of me because I struggled the summoning Jutsu."