53 - Cries and cusses

TRIGGER WARNINGS:
EXPLICIT LANGUAGE
SWEARING

After having completely tiresome meetings all morning, it was late afternoon now and a dull throbbing pain began to form at the back of my head

After having completely tiresome meetings all morning, it was late afternoon now and a dull throbbing pain began to form at the back of my head. I was in the kitchen alone, so I took some painkillers with a gulp of strong coffee. Pulling out my phone, I placed it onto the countertop. The screen turned on but no messages appeared and then, as if on cue, the phone rang, the shrill tone emanating from it.

"Yes." I spoke into it after letting the phone ring for several seconds. The man on the other end informed me about business affairs in America. "You should think about coming over to sort a couple of little minor things." He spoke, his voice heavy and gritty and all American.

I rubbed my eyes with a deep sigh. I didn't want to leave Lira, not when she needed me, not that she wouldn't mind or admit it. I worked a lot, often away from home. Sometimes we would go days without seeing each other properly and I'd hate that. She always understood but I want to be her husband, before anything else, always.

"I'll think about it. Perhaps the end of the week." They wouldn't really want Raf as much as I'd like to send him in my place. They wanted the boss. Fucks sake.

Whilst I was grumbling on the phone, mainly because I was bored, I heard voices and my lips pulled into a smile on their own accord. Bubbling laughter drifted my way and then Lira stepped into the room, her brothers in tow. She had gone to collect them from the airport and seeing her now, so happy and content, I appreciated that they came to visit for a while.

I waved a hand at Admir and Asim, both smiled back. Both of them wore T-shirts and jeans, looking so relaxed and unbothered. I glanced at Lira who was smiling widely, her straight hair being pulled back into a ponytail. Her body was covered in the most beautiful floral printed dress, it was billowy and paired perfectly with her comfy white sneakers.

She eagerly walked over and before she could take a seat beside me, I grabbed onto her waist and pulled her towards me instead. She giggled softly, the sound making my heart skip a beat. I was quick to end the call and gave her my undivided attention. "You all right?" I asked her, my bare arm rubbing against hers.

She smiled, her freckled cheeks rounded. "I'm fine. Let's all go out for lunch." She huffed out a breath. Asim grinned and took a seat at the island, making himself at home. I liked that about him. He just felt comfortable enough to do so. Admir rolled his eyes playfully and crossed his arms. "It's past lunch and not quite time for dinner."

He was right but he wasn't used to Lira. She frowned softly and Admir blinked, glancing down at her bump and then at me. "Actually you know what I'm starving. I could use a drink or two." He smiled gently, understanding. Lira instantly grinned and pulled out of my hold. "I'll get a car." She beamed walking out of the room, being as fit as ever despite becoming ever so lazy. She wasn't troubled with sickness today.

"Word of advice Admir, what Lira wants, she gets." I half smiled. He just looked at me, knowing that I'd always take care of her. Knowing that she was happy and safe. His head tilted to the side slightly, several strands of dark hair moving out of place. "Hmm she's already spoilt enough as it is." He spoke like a brother. His tone was chiding, nothing resentful behind it.