1

I was working backstage at the MTV Video Music Awards getting the celebrities ready to go out on stage to either perform or to present an award.

"Jessa, we are almost ready for Mr. Evans, can you go get him from the green room?" The lead stagehand said in my earpiece.

"On my way." I answered and walked back to the green room. I knocked and waited for an answer.

"Yeah?" I heard him call out and I opened the door. I saw him pacing in the room.

"It's almost time for you Mr. Evans." I said giving him a sweet smile. He gave me a small smile back.

"Lead the way." Chris said and I smiled as he walked up to me at the door and we headed to the side of the stage.

"I have Mr. Evans at the side of the stage." I said in my earpiece.

"Great about a minute countdown." The lead stagehand said. I turned to Chris.

"About a 5-minute countdown." I said and he nodded. He seem very nervous and I felt for him. I was a Chris Evans fan and I knew he battled with anxiety and I knew something like this probably didn't help it. I needed to find a way to calm him down.

"Are you excited to see any awards tonight?" I asked catching him off guard and he huffed laugh.

"Um...no actually after this, I'm outta here. This isn't my scene much." Chris said and I looked at him and nodded.

"I get it, you wouldn't be the first to do it." I have to give you credit for showing up and being in the green room at least. Last year we had someone show up 3 minutes before going onstage, present the award and leave again. It was pretty intense." I said and Chris laughed.

"So you have been doing this for a while?" Chris asked.

"Uh, a couple years. Just a side gig to make some extra cash." I said and he nodded.

"What do you do on a regular basis?" Chris asked.

"Make up artist. Trying to make it somewhere." I said and Chris smiled.

"Well I'm sure you will someday." Chris said and I smiled. We went into a silence again and he started fiddling with his necklace he always wore and I sighed. I walked closer to him and sighed.

"Mr. Evans..." I said and he sighed.

"Please call me Chris." He said and I smiled at him.

"Chris, I don't want to overstep but I see you are nervous. I get the same way sometimes. Can I maybe do for you what I do to calm myself down? See if it helps?" I asked and he sighed.

"Couldn't hurt, I will try anything." Chris said and I smiled. I held out my hand and he told ahold of it and smiled at how perfect they fit together. I started singing.

🎵I wanna be where the people are
I wanna see
Wanna see 'em dancin'
Walkin' around on those
Whad'ya call 'em? Oh - feet
Flippin' your fins you don't get too far
Legs are required for jumpin', dancin'
Strollin' along down a
What's that word again? Street

Up where they walk
Up where they run
Up where they stay all day in the sun
Wanderin' free
Wish I could be
Part Of Your World🎵

I let go on his hand and he just huffed a laugh and smiled at me.

"Did you know about my love for The Little Mermaid?" Chris asked and I laughed.

"No I knew about my love for Little Mermaid and knew that song always calms me." I said and he smiled. He leaned down and kissed my cheek.

"Thank you...." Chris trailed off looking for a nametag which I didn't have.

"Jessa." I said and he smiled.

"Thank you Jessa, that really help me. Thank you so much." Chris said and I smiled.

"No problem." I said and I heard someone talking in my earpiece.

"Get Mr. Evans in position Jessa." I looked at Chris.

"It's time. You okay?" I asked and he nodded. I grabbed a mic for him and the envelope.

"Okay, they will announce you out. Good luck." I said and went to walk away but he grabbed my hand. He ran his thumb over my knuckles. I looked at him.

"Thanks again for everything Jessa. I think I have a new calm down technique." Chris said and I smiled.

"Happy to help." I said and I heard them announce him on stage.

"Better go." I said and he took a breath and walked out on stage. I want to watch Chris on stage but I was called to another location and had to rush to get there.

*****1 YEAR LATER*****

I was setting up my station in the make up trailer when the other make up artist came up to me.

"Is this your first big job?" She asked and I shook my head.

"Been doing it for about 6 months now." I said and she smiled.

"Oh okay, you just set up your station like newbie." She said and I sighed.

"Yeah I just like being prepared." I said and glanced at her station that was already mess. She noticed and walked over to her placed and started organizing it. I heard some people come walking in but I didn't turn to look. I figured whoever I was helping get ready would just sit down. I was soon hyper aware of someone right behind me.

"Jessa." Chris said as I turned around and pulled me into a hug.

"I didn't know you were on this film." I said and he sighed.

"Yeah but look at you! You made it." Chris said as he sat down in my chair and I smiled.

"Yep. 6 months ago." I said and he smiled. I stood in front of him and started to get ready.

"I looked for you before I left the awards a year ago." Chris said and I stopped what I was doing and looked at him in the mirror.

"You what?" I asked.

"Yeah, I wanted to be able to thank you again for helping calm me down and maybe take you dinner sometime. But when I walked off the stage you were gone and no one knew where you went." Chris said and I sighed.

"I got pulled away for a problem." I said and he sighed. Chris leaned closer to me so only we were having this conversation and no one could hear.

"Jessa, I thought I lost my chance with you. I would love to get to know you. Please let me take you to dinner." Chris said and I sigh.

"Chris..." I said and he gripped my shaking hands.

🎵I wanna be where the people are
I wanna see
Wanna see 'em dancin'
Walkin' around on those
Whad'ya call 'em? Oh - feet
Flippin' your fins you don't get too far
Legs are required for jumpin', dancin'
Strollin' along down a
What's that word again? Street

Up where they walk
Up where they run
Up where they stay all day in the sun
Wanderin' free
Wish I could be
Part Of Your World🎵

Chris sang to me seeing I was nervous. I smiled at him.
"Don't use my own tactics against me Evans." I said and he laughed.

"Please, let me take you to dinner tomorrow night." Chris said and I smiled and sighed.

"Fine tomorrow night, just dinner." I said and he smiled.

"Now sit back, I have to make you all pretty for the cameras." I said and he laughed.