25

"You are scaring me, what do you mean, what did she say?"

"There are always people waiting to hurt me."

"Okay, how does that mean she wants to kill me?" She chuckles before coming to where I stand. She holds my hands

"I love how you cling to innocence, in your opinion what would hurt me?" She asks as her finger lightly draws lines on my face.

"Losing your family?"

"True, but no one would dare try to hurt them, you are part of my family now and they will try to hurt me using you."

"So I am going to die?"

"No, I will never allow that to happen, I just dont want you to be clueless and do something stupid. No need to watch your back, I just want you to be smart." A nod from me and she wraps her arms around me. "You are my life, Bibi and without you, I have no purpose to live."

I gave her no response, she was not looking for one. I do not know the magnitude of my love, it is a question time will answer.

She prefers driving, which is amazing because I hate it.

"Ri, honestly speaking, what is going on here?"

"What do you mean?"

"I just evaded the police to come here only to have your ex want my head? This is not life."

"No one is going to kill you..."

"She does."

"You have me, an entire Bratva, a network of gangs and corrupt police officers, trust me, no one is going to kill you."

"Macbeth was overzealous and got killed."

"Claudius was paranoid and ended up dead."

"That does not make me wrong."

"No, but baby, come on, what do you want me to do? Lock you away in a tower?"

"No, but it seems like this does not phase you." We stop at a red light. She cups my face with her fingers

"Of course it phases me, I worry about keeping you safe but I also know that if I worry and stress about keeping you safe, I will be acting like Hamlet. Let me do this my way."

"It is my life on the line." Nearly a whisper

"Understand that you are my life and the key to my happiness, I will do everything I can to protect you." All I can do is nod, she seems to know what to do, "Now let's go to my office so you can read while I work."

"I thought you were going to spend time with me?"

"Yeah, that's why you read while I work, you are not as smart as I thought."

"That's mean, take it back."

"Not until you prove you did not lose brain cells hanging out with Luka."

"You are so mean! I do not know how anyone puts up with you."

"It's the smile, I don't know why but no one can resist seeing it." A giggle escapes my throat "and it is that sound that I wish I could capture to use on days you don't giggle as freely as now." I turn to face the window. I tuck my bottom lip in between my teeth, she did not have to say that.

She got Anna to get me snacks and food.

"Vera, why do I pay an entire department if you are going to call me instead of them? Exactly." She continues to type away as I go back into my book.

Why do I read enemies to lovers when they always hurt me? I wipe my tears before placing the book on the table.

"Bibi?"

"It's the book." The tears just stream from my eyes, she opens her arms and I waddle to her "They didn't get a happy ending." I mutter into her shirt.

"Sometimes things end so you can experience better. What will make you feel better?"

"Ice cream," I mumble as I wipe my tears.

"Let's go get ice cream then." She whispers as she lifts my face. I compose myself before we head out the door "Call me if they get here early." Anna nods

We head to the Ice Cream store a few minutes away from her office. She had her arm wrapped around my shoulder. I loved being enveloped by her, I loved being in proximity to her.

"You know, it is hard getting over a sad ending, they always hurt so much."

"Tragedies always hurt. When are you going to start a new book?"

"When we get back." We are sitting in the shop, I got cocoa creme while she got vanilla.

"So I need to get you more books?" I nod as I take another spoon of my ice cream.

"What were you expecting, I am in her home with nothing to do, I get bored."

"What do you want to do?"

"I want to work, have something to keep me busy."

"Be my assistant?"

"What about Anna?"

"Don't worry about that, do you want the job?"

"I speak no Russian."

"I know baby, it's okay."

"Okay then."

"Yeah?"

"Yes." She places a kiss on my knuckles and as she lifts her head, the smile fades. I turn my face to the door and coming our way is no one other than Mila.

"Look at you two, adorable."

"What do you want Mila?"

"Still as feisty as I remember. I just came to say hey to one of my favourite couples and also invite you to dinner next week."

"What dinner?"

"Foundation dinner." Ri nods "so you will come?"

"Sure."

"Thank you, enjoy your day." She skips to the till.

"What was that about?"

"Her parents have a dinner to get donations for their foundation. I can't say no because I kind of promised to go this year so will you come with me?"

"It did not seem like I have a choice," I say removing my hand from her hold.

"Bibi?"

"Let's just go." She sighs but stands up. We walk in silence back to her office.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"There is nothing to talk about, Ri."

"There is, out with it."

"Let it go, Ri."

"I can't, you are angered by something I did or said."

"Do you love her?" She chuckles

"No, I do not love her, I love you."

"Then what was that look that you gave her when you agreed to go to her dinner."

"She was threatening your life in one look, I had to cower to that because you are my Achilles heel."

"She didn't even look at me."

"She did not have to, all she has to do is look at me long enough and I know she is challenging me."

"This is crazy."

"Welcome to my life, is that all?" I nod, she opens her arms and I allow her to cover me with her embrace "I love you and only you until the end of time."

"I love you too." I did not say that, take it back! Take it back before she loses interest in me!

She smiles before cupping my chin, she joins our lips, she is trying to let me down easily. We pull apart and she places a kiss on my forehead.

*******

Hey guys, I am going to start doing one chapter updates, it's just too much to try to do three.

I still love you guys❤❤🥺