45

She watched as I got ready and then went to her house after dropping me at the builder's shopping centre.

"Hey, Jimmy."

"Good morning Miss Mopedi, how are you?"

"I am good, thank you. I came here because my little girl wants to change her Daisy Duck room to Princess Tiana's bayou adventure."

"Oh, so you want to redo the entire room?" he pulls out his notebook

"Yes. I was thinking sage green on the wall and we have fake plants and real plants all around the room and maybe have someone paint the frogs on one side and the characters on another side."

"We can put fake vines by the door and build a tree in the corner and have a branch or two stick out and wrap LEDs and vines around it."

"Yeah. I want it to be as bayou-like as possible but it should have her reading carpet, which I will have to get a new one and her bed will have to fit the theme as well."

"We will design and text it to you when it is done along with sending you an invoice."

"Thanks, Jimmy. Have a great day."

The ability to give Neo a magical bedroom is something that I am thankful, I can provide. I did not have a personalized bedroom even when I was studying, my apartment did not reflect me. The reason I quit was so I can give Neo the best childhood that I possibly could and having a room that reflects her interests is one of those requirements. I hope she loves it.

She picked me up and drove us to the gallery. She booked it so we can enjoy the art at our pace. So we took our time exploring the gallery, well she spent most of her time looking at me instead of at the art.

She asked the staff to take pictures of us together but she was my designated photographer and I can tell she enjoyed her side hustle.

"So where to?" I ask as she gets into the car

"Food and then I will drop you at home, I have to see someone. "

"Oh."

"Don't worry, I will tuck you in tonight." blood rushes to my cheeks, my lips taut as I cover my face with my hands, did she have to say it like that? Her hand squeezes my thigh as she continues driving.

Sometimes I get tired of being Neo's only guardian or immediate family, I love her with all of me but it is tiring not being able to drop her off at my mother's house while I go on vacation for a week.

"Hey Nana, how was school?" she buckles her seatbelt

"It was okay, Faith's tooth got broken."

"Is she okay?"

"No, she was crying and there was blood and Ms Smith said we shouldn't push each other near the stairs."

"Who pushed Faith?"

"Jackson. Emily says it is cause he likes her."

"No, you don't hurt people you like."

"Even if it is a crush?"

"Especially if it is a crush." she nods

"Mama, do you have a crush?" Amari Ziatsev-Goncharov

"Maybe."

"Mama likes a boy!"

"It is not a boy, Nana."

"It's not?"

"It is a girl."

"Huh? Girls can crush girls?" a giggle escapes my lips. Do I tell her?

"Yes. I have a crush on the lady that was in my house the other day."

"I thought she was your friend."

"She is my special friend, Nana. Girls can like girls and boys can like boys."

"Oh, okay. Can I get Ice cream?"

"Sure, which one?"

"Galleto!"

"Gelato."

"You know what I mean, mama." sassy little girl.

We came home immediately after getting ice cream, she went into her room to play and draw while I prepare supper.

As I am washing dishes, there is a knock on the door. I have already put Neo to sleep, it is two hours before her bedtime but she was exhausted.

Standing at my door with a bottle of gin in hand, I motion for her to walk in.

"Didn't know whether it was your favourite or you just have a bottle for the fun of it."

"Well, if you can make me a cocktail, we will find out."

"Are you trying to get me drunk, Bi?"

"Never," I smirk as I get seated while she takes the glasses, ice and drinks out.

"George was at my meeting today and he reminded me that your birthday is three weeks away."

"I am only turning 29."

"So no party?"

"No, there will be one, but it is not a big deal."

"Okay."

"Are you coming?"

"No."

"Okay."

"I am pulling your chain.  I won't miss it for anything."

"Don't write checks your body will not be able to cash."

"Wow, I promise I will be there even if it is for a min."

"Okay."

"That does not sound like you are convinced."

"Because I know how busy work can keep you, Amari."

"And I am telling you that, you are more important than that." why does she make me blush "Now do you want vodka in it too?"

"Yes please." she nods before working her magic

***********

It has been a while since the last update, a month to be exact but it has been longer since I have written a chapter. I would like to say life got in the way but I just lost the spark that is necessary to write work authentic to me.

Hopefully I will be posting again in a week❤️