Chapter 21 - The Meeting

The next morning, as the winter sun lazily shone through the trees, Haldir felt as though his chest would burst with happiness. As he made his way to meet The Lord and Lady of Light, he could barely contain his smiles, and was grateful to Eru he saw no one, lest he explain his giddiness.

Upon waiting outside the great grey arched doors, Haldir noted there were two members of the Galadhrim in full amour, with war scythes crossed over the doors. They nodded in acknowledgement of their leader.

"There is an ongoing meeting between Lord Celeborn, Lady Galadriel and Lord Elrond, sir." Orym spoke.

Haldir looked to him questioningly and he squirmed a little, not wishing to appear insubordinate. He was given clear instructions to let no one in, and to interrupt for nothing less than an emergency.

"I mean, Sir, I do not believe it will run much longer. Sir. Sorry, Sir." His nerves betrayed him. But he was indeed correct, the meeting was finished, and out stormed Lord Elrond. Appearing marginally flustered, he stopped only for a millisecond to give Haldir a look of utter derision. Two aides walked behind him, heads hanging low. Had Elrond been less concerned with how he appeared to others, he would certainly have run his shoulders into Haldir's, as it was, he had to remain composed.

Haldir was welcomed in by Galadriel, who greeted him with a smile, as the guards closed the doors behind them.

"Am I correct to be excited?" Galadriel spoke as she grasped his forearms. He bashfully looked down, and she laughed. "It is beautifully amusing to see our stoic Marchwarden flustered, so!"

"I am merely a coward beneath my armour and sword, my Lady." He said with mirth, "But you are correct, there is reason to be excited. I offered to bond myself to Gaeariel last night, and she agreed. I cannot stop myself from smiling and questioning if Eru has really deemed me worthy of such a warrior. She is incredible." He gushed.

"However, I do have some misgivings, regarding the celebration my lady." He lowered his eyes respectfully.

Celeborn stepped forward, with understanding. He too, had been extremely private and had to celebrate his union with Galadriel in the eyes of all from the realm. He spoke, "We have decided your union may be private with a select few guests, but there will be a parade of you walking through the square to the great halls for a public feast and celebration. Does that quell your reservations?"

"It does. Thank you, my Lord." Looking to Lady Galadriel, knowing her warning the union had to be as soon as could be, he asked, "What happens now?"

It was arranged that you would unite the day after tomorrow. Haldir was relieved when you grabbed him excitedly. He was unsure why it must be so soon and was glad you did not question him on it. It mattered not, you had some idea it was to do with Elrond, but to what extent, you were blind. You knew the news was strictly confidential, however, the realm knew of a feast coming. You were more than happy to keep it private, even if it was against custom. For what had occurred between you and Haldir was anything but customary.

True to his word, today you were summoned to the afternoon discussions between Elrond and Celeborn.

"Perhaps you could repeat your opinions from yesterday, Gaeariel." Elrond spoke in an even tone, while his eyes betrayed him. "No? It is a shame you cannot wield your loose tongue as easily as you did when regurgitating my business with Celebrian." he lifted a goblet of wine to his mouth, his grey eyes daring you to make your move.

"Elrond, with that tone and wine, one could almost believe you were Thranduil himself." You said, desperately trying to lighten the tone. You knew how his ring could control you, and you wanted him to stay as calm as possible.

"But yes, I will share my thoughts with Celeborn and Galadriel." You looked to them, their faces stony. "If the Galadhrim leave to support the Rohirrim at Helm's deep, there will be no Lorien to save. There will be no Caras Galadhon. And is this the right time to intervene, is this even our fight when every day was are fighting the desolation of our lands?"

"You say 'our lands' Gaeariel?" Elrond scoffed, "you know these are not your lands. Unless you have another vested interest?"

Celeborn snapped, "Enough! We are here to discuss the future of our lands, not to listen to your petty squabbles."

You ran your fingers through your blue waves. "I apologise. But as much as I feel we owe - I personally owe the Rohirrim for my life – again, I ask. Is this our war to fight? What will become of the elves of Lorien?"

Celeborn replied, "We have spoken with Thranduil, he is happy to house those that do not attend the war."

"I will also be happy to welcome any elves who need it." Elrond spoke.

"So, it is decided already?" you said in disbelief, now worrying your understood why Galadriel wanted you and Haldir to bond, in case of his death in battle. You felt your heart drum in your chest, and you had to blink hard to disrupt the path of tears threatening to bloom.

"No, not at all Gaeariel. I for one am loathe to leave our realm." Finally spoke Galadriel.

"For now we defend our own borders until a decision is made, or made for us." Spoke Celeborn. "But the choice may be taken from us, and force us to Mirkwood." He warned.

You nodded, and excused yourself. Galadriel fast behind you.

"I hope now you understand my wish for haste, Gaeariel?" she asked.

"I do. But I do not know how to endure if I must watch Haldir lead the Galadhrim into sure death, while I must hang back and defend Mirkwood of all places? We both know Elrond will not grant permission for me as a mercenary to fight as Galadhrim!" Your chin started to wobble as the gravity of the situation washed over you, drowning you and taking your breath.

"Sellig, calm breaths. I urge you to put all your labours in the thought of tomorrow. Times ahead are bleak, and I fear this will be the last light for our realm." She embraced you, and rubbed circles into your back, as she did when you were a child. "It will be ok, I promise. I have seen many futures and in every single one you are ok, no matter the outcome. Now, let us pick out gowns for tomorrow."

"I had this made for you." Galadriel smiled as she held a dusty pink gown. You smiled, knowing she must have foreseen the events unfolding.

You tried the gown on, and of course it fit perfectly. It was cut straight across, baring shoulders and a little decolletage. The bodice came in very tight at your waist, and draped down your hips. The material was soft like liquid and hung in waves over your body. At the back was an effervescent dusky pink capelet, which was attached by gold brooches at either shoulder blade. There were many meters used and it sat perfectly ruffled behind you. Galadriel placed the gold sunbeam crown upon year head, and placed a gold necklace around your neck, that had one single teardrop gem with one of her hairs entombed within. You wept, as you remembered when Celebrian wore the very same necklace.

"Thank you Palantiriel." You said, as she placed a kiss on your head.

You were to stay at the house of Celeborn and Galadriel the night before your union. So, you met for a quick dinner with Haldir, before retiring with them.

"Was a decision made at the meeting today?" Haldir asked cautiously.

"For now, we continue to defend Caras Galadhon. For how long, I know not." You sighed. "Whatever happens, I fear the time of elves comes ever closer to an end."

Haldir agreed as he reached over the dinner table and entwined his fingers in yours. "We choose to see the light in the darkness. Tomorrow will be our light, and long may it illuminate our hearts in times to come, meleth-nin."

A maid entered to usher you away and you kissed his tough calloused hands in goodbye.

That night as you tried to sleep, you ached to be in the arms of him. You missed his scent, the smell of leather and spice. You missed his warmth and the security of his wide shoulders. How his embrace was a parapet to the outside world. Your mind drifted to the halfings, and you wondered where their travels had taken them. You knew they had been separated from Aragorn, as he had sent word to Elrond seeking assistance. You hoped little Frodo would be able to destroy the ring. The fate of everyone rested upon him.