Chapter 27 - Parties and Pleasures

"Take my arm Ostara," Tom said, offering it out before the door.

"Is that a good idea?" she asked.

"I thought that was the whole point of this?" he asked, irritated.

"It was but-"

"No buts. That's what we're doing."

She looked at him briefly before linking her arm with his. He pushed down on the door handle and the two of them entered the garden.

It wasn't as dramatic as Star perhaps thought it would be. People didn't stop their conversations to stare at her and Tom. There were no muffled whispers into others ears. And the music didn't stop. People continued their business, barely paying mind to the young couple that the party was in fact for.

Melody and Sebastian were together, sipping dew drop juice from magically crafted leaf cups her father had enchanted. They glanced at the pair, then returned to their conversation.

"You really aren't that popular here, are you?" Tom asked.

"Honestly, it's a miracle so many people even showed up. Though, I'm sure they just came to see if the village freak had returned from magic school stranger than when she left," Ostara spoke quietly to Tom.

"Have you?" He asked.

"I have my arm linked with a sociopath who has almost killed me more than once, so I'd say yes." She forged a beaming smiled at an older couple that were looking their way.

"Ostara Stiltkin," the older woman said, approaching closer with her husband. "You've only been gone a few months but look how much more beautiful you've become."

"Don't flatter me." Star blushed.

"And this handsome young man is?" the woman asked.

"Tom Riddle." He kissed the top of the lady's wrinkling hand. "Ostara's boyfriend."

Star coughed, loudly, almost choking on her own saliva. She wasn't expecting him to be so forward.

"You alright my dear?" the older man asked.

"Perfectly fine!" she coughed once more and attempted to regain her breathing ability. "Dew drop juice just went down the wrong hole."

"How old are you now my dear? A bit old to still be drinking only dew drop juice. You're almost 18, are you not? Why not take a glass of champagne?" the lady teased.

"Oh, I, um, I hadn't really thought about it." She giggled.

"Come darling, I'll pour you your own glass." Tom took her hand and nodded goodbye to the couple. He guided her towards the table of champagne glasses.

Ostara reached out to grab a glass.

Tom quickly slapped the top of her hand. "No."

"Ow!" she cowered. "Why not?"

"No booze for you. We have an appearance to keep up. And we both know the liquor tends to loosen your lips." He shot her a venomous gaze.

She then retreated from the table. "So what are we meant to do then? Stand here all night?"

"No Ostara. We will politely do rounds around the guests. I will impress them as I do with everyone and then we will sit down for a nice dinner and smile whilst we boast about how happy we are! After that, we will go to our bedrooms and enter a deep, peaceful sleep." He grinned.

"Are you serious?" she asked.

"What?"

"You, you-"