Chapter 5

1947
I opened my eyes and saw a lady  changing my IV. "Oh, hello" she said like she was surprised to see me awake, and almost ran outside.

I sat up straight on the bed and I looked at my hands. I touched the blanket and the bed and everything seemed fine.

'Not freezing. It was probably a stupid dream' I told myself.

I relaxed and I took a look around me. I thought I was in a hospital room. There were multiple vases with flowers around, some of which didn't look fresh.

'For how long have I been here?' I wondered.

Howard ran in the room and let out a breath when he saw me. That was when it accorded to me that maybe this wasn't a hospital.

"How are you? How are you feeling? I see that the bed isn't frozen yet so that's good" he said

"So it wasn't a dream..." I sighed

"No, it wasn't" he confirmed.

"Oh my God... What's happening to me?"

"Well, I examined the things you froze and it seems like with just a touch, you somehow slowed down the molecules of the objects completely. You did in fact freeze them"

"Cryokinesis?" I chuckle

"Yes. I believe it was caused by you working on the freezing experiment during the energy explosion of the Tesseract" he explained.

"For how long have I been here?" I ask

"Almost a year. I had an eye on you all the time, though. Your body temperature was low and every time they tried to get it up, you were getting worse. So I ran some tests, I hope that's ok. And what I noticed was that your cells were changing during that time. They became stronger and faster"

"And let me guess, now that I'm awake you want to run more tests" I assumed

"No" he answered surprising me. "I want you to leave before more people find out about you and your new ability" he added

"I don't understand"

"HYDRA knew about Steve and now he's... only God knows where. I don't want to risk losing another one, especially if it's my fault that they're are in this position"

"And what am I supposed to do? What about my work?"

"You don't have to worry about that. I repaired the capsule and I went ahead and finished our experiment. It worked!" he informed me excited and handed me a file

"You're kidding! You should have started with that!" I replied matching his excitement, and accidentally freezing the file

"Oh, don't worry, I have another copy. But you have to work on controlling that"

"I definitely do. Why didn't you say anything from the start?"

"I didn't know if you wanted to hear it because of the accident"

"Of course I want to"

"I submitted your thesis for you and you can officially add PhD to your resume, Dr. Barnes".

Dr. Barnes... Wow.

"Thank you so much for everything"

"No, thank you for bringing me the hope" he said causing me to smile. "I will find you a nice place, new identity and I'll make sure that is stated everywhere that Dr. Emily Barnes died in the accident last year" he promised. "I'm really sorry" he added

"I know. I really want to hug you right now"

"Only if you promise me you won't freeze me"

"Well, if I do, you may survive. See, I'm kind of an expert on cryonic preservation" I joked.

He laughed and hugged me. But the laughs faded quickly. "I'm going to miss you. And I'm going to miss us"

"Me too. Who am I supposed to annoy now?" I chuckled and he laughed again.

We pulled away and both let out a breath. "I'm not ever going to be able to use Dr. Barnes. It has a nice ring to it"

"It does" he agreed.

"I'll continue to look for Steve as much as I can and keep you updated" I promised.

2014
Unfortunately, this isn't the first time that I am sitting in a hospital room, waiting for Steve to wake up. Apparently, he went against SHIELD that was mostly taken over by HYDRA at this point and not only they beat his ass, he also almost drowned.

I am thinking of only one person that could do that much damage to him, but I wish it isn't true, because that would mean that they wiped his memory again.

I notice movement with the corner of my eye so I look at Steve. "Good morning, sunshine" I tease

"Hi" he smiles weakly. "By my side again, huh?" he chuckles

"Yeah, I heard there was quite the fight out there so decided to check on you. To my surprise, Natasha Romanoff answered your phone. It took a lot of convincing for her to tell me what happened" I inform him

"I'm sorry. You shouldn't have exposed yourself for me"

"It's fine. HYDRA is over now, right?"

"That's true. You can stop hiding now"

"We'll see because there might be individuals still..." I remind him

"Bucky... No. You were right. He did recognize you because I think he recognized me too"

A glimpse of hope starts to form
"Are you serious?"

"He took me out of the water, just like he let you walk away"

"Where is he now?"

"I don't know. He just left".

"Ok, ok, I gotta go check... everything. Is it ok if I leave you?" I say as I stand up

"Yes, go look for him. I'll join you when I get out of here" he answers

"Thank you" I reply and I storm out of the room.

He was trained to be invisible and to leave no traces behind. He could literally be anywhere right now.

But if he's remembering little things, he will want to put the puzzle together. He will want to remember. And what better place to do that than a museum with your face in it.