Chapter 40

Surprisingly, dad agreed to let us stay here. Hindi ko alam kung anong pinag usapan nila ni Isaiah, dahil hindi na ako nagkaroon ng pagkakataon na kausapin siya. After my talk with aunt Riley, I locked myself inside the room. Sinusubukan akong kausapin nila Jassy, Elijah at Jed, pero pilit ko silang pinapaalis. I want to be alone.

It's been hours since dad and aunt Riley left the school, and I'm sure Kaylee and the others will be here any minute from now. I'm not yet ready to face her. I'm a mess. I've been crying for hours, and I couldn't stop.

After a few more minutes, the door flung open, revealing Kaylee. Instead of an angry look, a worried look is plastered on her face as she approaches me.

"What happened, Liv?" nag aalalang tanong niya at umupo sa kama. "Satan is upset, and Jed said it's because you are. Something about a twin connection or whatever that is. Tell me the problem." hinaplos niya ang pisngi ko at pinunasan ang mga takas na luha mula sa aking mga mata.

Mas lalo akong napaiyak at napayuko. "Aunt Riley knows about us." nauutal na sabi ko.

Narinig kong bumigat ang paghinga niya at bahagya siyang lumayo sa akin. Natahimik siya ng halos isang minuto bago nagsalita.

"Let me guess. She's making you choose between me and our family. And of course, being the selfless person that you are, you will choose them over me." walang buhay na sabi niya.

"Kaye—" sinubukan kong hawakan ang kamay niya pero mabilis niya itong inilayo.

"Do you know why I got so jealous when I saw your picture with Mikhael?" nagsimulang bumuhos ang mga luha niya. "It's because the two of you can be together freely. No one will object, because you're not siblings. Same with Val. Our family really likes her for you and it's killing me."

My heart sank. Ang sakit makita siyang ganito. Ramdam na ramdam ko ang sakit sa mga binitawan niyang mga salita, dahil maging ako ay ganun din ang nararamdaman. I'm jealous of anyone who can be with her. Dahil walang hahadlang. Walang sabit. Hindi tulad ng sa amin.

I tried to reach her hand again and this time, she let me. "You're the one I love, Kaye. You know that."

She slightly shook her head. "But you don't love me enough to fight for me. I knew from the start that I will never be your first choice. I know how much you value our family. And it hurts. I hate it. I hate that I will never be enough for you. That I'm not worth fighting for."

Lumapit ako sa kanya at niyakap siya ng mahigpit. How am I supposed to end things with her when she's like this? I don't think I can.

"Don't ever think of that. You're more than enough, Kaye. But if our parents find out about this, they might separate us. I don't want to lose you completely." mahinang sabi ko.

Just thinking about it makes me feel like I'm going to lose my mind. This love is complicated from the very start. Baka ilayo nila kami sa isa't isa ng tuluyan kapag nalaman nila ang tungkol sa amin. I don't want that. Kahit mahirap ay makukuntento nalang akong maging kapatid niya. Basta nandiyan siya. Yan ang kanina pa tumatakbo sa isip ko matapos ang usapan namin ni aunt Riley.

"I told you before, you would never lose me. Runaway with me, Liv." she softly whispered.

Napahiwalay ako sa kanya. "That's selfish, Kaye. We can't do that to them."

"I'm selfish." she said while wiping her tears. "And I want you to be selfish with me."

It's tempting. But I can't. We can't betray our families and friends like that.

I shook my head. "I'm sorry."

Hilaw siyang ngumisi. "I knew you'd say that. And I hate to admit this, but I understand."